Understanding the Chain Rule in Vector Calculus for Gradient of Scalar Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the chain rule in vector calculus for finding the gradient of a function with respect to a vector. The equation for this rule is given and a different notation for the rule is suggested. It is shown that the equation is true and the question of how it would look in spherical coordinates is brought up.
daudaudaudau
Hi. I was looking for a chain rule in vector calculus for taking the gradient of a function such as f(A), where A is a vector and f is a scalar function. I found the following expression on wikipedia, but I don't understand it. It's taking the gradient of f, and applying that to A, and then writing nabla A ?? Can anyone tell me what's going on?

fcd0ce7679df0e7387af5f353182e420.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider ##A = [a(x,y,z) \hat x + b(x,y,z) \hat y + c(x,y,z) \hat z ],## and ##f(A) = f(a,b,c),##
then ##\nabla f(A) = \hat x \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\left[\frac{\partial a}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial b}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial c}{\partial x} \right] +
\hat y\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\left[\frac{\partial a}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial b}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial c}{\partial y} \right]+
\hat z \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\left[\frac{\partial a}{\partial z}+\frac{\partial b}{\partial z}+\frac{\partial c}{\partial z} \right]##
##\nabla f = \hat x \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \hat y \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}+ \hat z \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}##
Also, ## \nabla A = \pmatrix{\frac{\partial a}{\partial x} &\frac{\partial b}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial c}{\partial x}\\
\frac{\partial a}{\partial y} &\frac{\partial b}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial c}{\partial y} \\
\frac{\partial a}{\partial z} &\frac{\partial b}{\partial z} & \frac{\partial c}{\partial z}}##
So if you carry out the matrix math and rearrange the terms,
fcd0ce7679df0e7387af5f353182e420.png

You will see that the equation is true.

Thanks. How would that look in spherical coordinates ?

I'm just going to answer the first question in a different notation. I like this version of the chain rule: ##(f\circ g)_{,i}(x) =f_{,j}(g(x)) g^j{}_{,i}(x)##. Here ##_{,i}## denotes partial differentiation with respect to the ##i##th variable, and ##g^i## denotes the real-valued function that takes ##x## to the ##i##th component of ##g(x)##. I'm using the convention to not write any summation sigmas, since the sum is always over the index that appears twice. For example, if I write ##X^i_k Y^k_j##, it means ##\sum_{k=1}^n X^i_k Y^k_j##.

Note that the ##i##th component of ##\nabla(f\circ A)(x)## is ##(f\circ A)_{,i}(x)##.
$$(f\circ A)_{,i}(x)= f_{,j}(A(x))A^j{}_{,i}(x) =\nabla f(A(x))\cdot A_{,i}(x) =(\nabla f\circ A)(x)\cdot A_{,i}(x).$$ I suppose we could also write this as
$$\nabla(f\circ A)(x) =(\nabla f\circ A)(x)\cdot\nabla A(x),$$ but I don't see why we'd want to.

Related to Understanding the Chain Rule in Vector Calculus for Gradient of Scalar Functions

1. What is the chain rule in vector calculus?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to calculate the derivative of a composite function. In vector calculus, it is used to find the derivative of a function that depends on multiple variables.

2. Why is the chain rule important in vector calculus?

The chain rule is important in vector calculus because it allows us to find the derivative of a complex function by breaking it down into simpler functions. This is useful in many applications, such as optimization and curve fitting.

3. How do you apply the chain rule in vector calculus?

To apply the chain rule in vector calculus, you must first identify the inner and outer functions in the composite function. Then, you use the formula: d/dx(f(g(x))) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x) to find the derivative.

4. Can the chain rule be used for higher dimensions in vector calculus?

Yes, the chain rule can be extended to higher dimensions in vector calculus. In this case, the derivative becomes a gradient, and the formula becomes: ∇(f(g(x,y))) = (∇f)(g(x,y)) * (∇g)(x,y).

5. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule in vector calculus?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule in vector calculus include forgetting to apply the chain rule, not correctly identifying the inner and outer functions, and making errors in the final derivative calculation. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work to avoid these mistakes.