Understanding the Chain Rule in Theorem Proof

In summary, the proof of the theorem states that if a contour C lies in a domain D and F is an analytic function, then for a continuous contour C with endpoints z1 and z2, the integral \int_{C}f(z)dz=F(z_{2}) - F(z_{1}) holds. If the function F(z) is complex, then the theorem also holds in the opposite direction.
futurebird
I'm trying to understand the proof for this theorem, and I can't see what they did to get from one step to the next.

THEOREM: Suppose F(z) is an analytic function and that f(z) = F'(z) is continuous on a domain D. Then for a contour C lying in D with endpoints z1 and z2:

[tex]\int_{C}f(z)dz=F(z_{2}) - F(z_{1})[/tex]

PROOF:
Using the definition of the integral, and assuming z'(t) is continuous

[tex]\int_{C}f(z)dz=\int_{C}F'(z)dz=\int^{b}_{a}F'(z(t))z'(t)dt[/tex]

This next step is the one I don't get. They say they used the chain rule?

[tex]=\int^{b}_{a}\frac{d}{dt}\left[F(z(t))\right]dt[/tex]

But HOW?

The rest makes sense:

=F(z(b))-F(z(a))

=F(z2)-F(z1)

Hence,

[tex]\int_{C}f(z)dz=F(z_{2}) - F(z_{1})[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Equality is symmetric. Have you tried looking at it in the opposite direction?

[tex]F'(z(t))z'(t) = \frac{d}{dt}F(z(t))[/tex]

Do you disagree that this is the statement that the chain rule makes?

Or look at it in the opposite direction as Hurkyl suggests. I suppose he put his finger on your problem.

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}F(z(t))=F'(z(t))z'(t)[/tex]

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
[tex]F'(z(t))z'(t) = \frac{d}{dt}F(z(t))[/tex]

Do you disagree that this is the statement that the chain rule makes?

Oh shoot I'm a moron!

Okay.

Hurkyl said:
Equality is symmetric. Have you tried looking at it in the opposite direction?

Okay they just did it backwards. I don't even want to tell you what I thought was going on. Thanks to both of you!

We've all been there. And now you've learned something.

The next time you wonder why equation (1) equals (2), you will try looking at why (2) equals (1) before giving up.

Nice going.

Something about this whole proof feels really trivial. I was surprised that they had a proof, it seems more like a definition.

Well using the definition of a complex integral and how it relates to ordinary integrals of real functions, the thm points out that with appropriate conditions, the fondamental thm of calculus "holds" for complex functions integrated over paths.

Related to Understanding the Chain Rule in Theorem Proof

1. What is the Chain Rule in Theorem Proof?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical concept that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. In other words, it helps us calculate the rate of change of a function that is made up of multiple functions.

2. Why is the Chain Rule important in Theorem Proof?

The Chain Rule is important because it allows us to solve complex problems by breaking them down into simpler parts. It is also a fundamental tool in many mathematical fields, such as calculus and physics, and is essential for understanding more advanced concepts.

3. How is the Chain Rule used in Theorem Proof?

The Chain Rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function by taking the derivative of the outer function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function. This process is repeated for each function in the composite function until the derivative is found.

4. What are the common mistakes made when applying the Chain Rule in Theorem Proof?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the Chain Rule when dealing with composite functions. Another mistake is not correctly identifying the inner and outer functions, which can lead to incorrect derivatives.

5. How can I improve my understanding and application of the Chain Rule in Theorem Proof?

To improve your understanding and application of the Chain Rule, it is important to practice solving problems that involve composite functions. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, and make sure to carefully check your work for any mistakes.