Understanding the Chain Rule for Partial Derivatives in Multivariable Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the partial derivative of u* with respect to r*. The notation u_{r^{*}} is used to represent the partial derivative of u with respect to its first argument, a^2/r*. The goal is to use this derivative to show that u* is harmonic in spherical coordinates.
Somefantastik
[tex] u^{*}(r^{*},\theta^{*},\phi^{*}) = \frac{a}{r^{*}}u(\frac{a^{2}}{r^{*}},\theta^{*},\phi^{*}) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial u^{*}}{\partial r^{*}}= \frac{a}{r^{*}}u_{r^{*}} \left( \frac{a^{2}}{r^{*}},\theta^{*},\phi^{*}\right) \left( -\frac{a^{2}}{r^{2*}} \right) - \frac{a}{r^{*2}} u \left( \frac{a^{2}}{r^{*}},\theta^{*},\phi^{*}\right) [/tex]

where [tex] u_{r^{*}} [/tex] is the partial of u w.r.t r*

Did I do this right? Is there a better way of representing [tex]u_{r^{*}} \left( \frac{a^{2}}{r^{*}},\theta^{*},\phi^{*}\right) [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Somefantastik said:
[tex]
Did I do this right? Is there a better way of representing [itex]u_{r^{*}} \left( \frac{a^{2}}{r^{*}},\theta^{*},\phi^{*}\right) [/itex]

Calculation is right but pedantically speaking you mean derivative of u with respect to its first argument which is a^2/r* not r*.

I don't know what kind of notations mathematicians use for that, symbolic programs like Mathematica would denote it like Derivative[1,0,0].

well I'm trying to crank out the laplacian in spherical to show it u* is harmonic. So I'm just trying to differentiate with respect to each component and sub it into the laplacian in spherical and HOPEFULLY get zero.

I still need help with this. Is there anybody out there who can help me?

Related to Understanding the Chain Rule for Partial Derivatives in Multivariable Calculus

1. What is the chain rule in partial derivatives?

The chain rule in partial derivatives is a method used to find the derivative of a composite function, where the input of one function is the output of another. It allows us to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding other variables constant.

2. How is the chain rule applied in partial derivatives?

To apply the chain rule in partial derivatives, we first take the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner variable, and then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function with respect to the same variable.

3. What is the difference between total and partial derivatives?

The total derivative is the derivative of a function with respect to all its variables, while the partial derivative is the derivative of a function with respect to one variable while holding other variables constant.

4. Can the chain rule be used for higher-order partial derivatives?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to higher-order partial derivatives. In this case, we take the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner variable and then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function with respect to the same variable, repeating the process for each successive derivative.

5. What are some real-life applications of the chain rule in partial derivatives?

The chain rule in partial derivatives is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the rate of change of a function in situations where multiple variables affect the outcome. For example, it can be used in thermodynamics to calculate the rate of change of temperature with respect to time and other variables such as pressure and volume.