Understanding the Bad-Cavity Limit in Hydrogen-Masers: Recommended Literature

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
In summary, Niles is looking for a book that explains why the Hydrogen-maser works in the bad-cavity limit, which means having a short cavity lifetime and being far from the strong coupling limit. He asks for recommendations and receives suggestions for books and articles on the topic.
Niles
Hi

Often when I read papers about state-of-the-art lasers (in terms of linewidth and stability), many mention (e.g. here, figure 1: http://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0512096.pdf) that the Hydrogen-maser works in the bad-cavity limit. I don't know why that is and I can't seem to find any good litterature explaining this.

Can anyone recommend a book that explains this matter in some detail?Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Being in the bad-cavity limit means two things: First, the cavity lifetime is rather short, which means that the cavity quality factor is not too high. Second, the cavity lifetime is much shorter than the typical light-matter interaction timescale and also shorter than the decay timescale of your active medium. That means you are also far away from the strong coupling limit.

This should be explained in the Mandel/Wolf book on quantum optics, I think, but it is a hard read. Kavokin's book on microcavities also explains those things, but is obviously not focused on lasers in general. Maybe Haken's book also explains this.

Most of the good maser books were written >30 years ago and are out of print (I have access to some of them because I have a colleague who works with masers ands he has been collecting materials for years).
However, there are a few review articles out there that migth be helpful. Keep an eye out for articles on frequency references (the main application of hydrogen masers). Unfortunately I can't think of a good reference now, but I can have a look when I get into the office on Monday.

Thanks for the suggestions, it is kind of you both to respons.Niles.

Related to Understanding the Bad-Cavity Limit in Hydrogen-Masers: Recommended Literature

1. What is the Bad-Cavity Limit in Hydrogen-Masers?

The Bad-Cavity Limit is a phenomenon in which the performance of a hydrogen-maser is limited by the quality of the resonant cavity. This means that no matter how much the hydrogen atoms are excited, the output frequency of the maser will not increase beyond a certain point due to losses in the cavity.

2. Why is it important to understand the Bad-Cavity Limit in Hydrogen-Masers?

Understanding the Bad-Cavity Limit is crucial for improving the performance and accuracy of hydrogen-masers, which are highly precise frequency standards used in scientific research and various applications such as GPS technology. By understanding this limit, researchers can develop ways to minimize its effects and improve the overall performance of the maser.

3. What are the factors that contribute to the Bad-Cavity Limit?

The Bad-Cavity Limit is primarily caused by two factors: losses in the cavity due to imperfect mirrors, and the finite lifetime of the excited state of hydrogen atoms. Other factors that may contribute include fluctuations in the magnetic field and collisions with other particles in the cavity.

4. How can the Bad-Cavity Limit be overcome or minimized?

There are several techniques that can be used to overcome or minimize the Bad-Cavity Limit in hydrogen-masers. These include using higher quality mirrors for the cavity, improving the cooling and isolation of the atoms, and using a larger cavity to reduce losses. Researchers are also exploring new technologies, such as using trapped atoms instead of free atoms, to overcome this limit.

5. What literature is recommended for further understanding of the Bad-Cavity Limit in Hydrogen-Masers?

Some recommended literature for further understanding of the Bad-Cavity Limit in Hydrogen-Masers includes "The Bad-Cavity Limit in Hydrogen-Masers" by J.C. Bergquist and J.L. Hall, "Theoretical Aspects of the Bad-Cavity Limit in Hydrogen-Masers" by P.D. Lett and W.D. Phillips, and "Quantum-Limited Amplification and Detection with a Hydrogen-Maser Amplifier" by S. Machida. Additionally, there are numerous research papers and articles available on this topic in scientific journals and online databases.