Understanding Tensors for General Relativity: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the conversation is about someone new to GR and tensors seeking a detailed explanation to begin studying GR mathematically. They mention watching a video on PF that used a cube and 3-space vectors to explain tensors, but they are looking for resources that focus on vector calculus and tensor manipulation. They prefer explanations over books, but are open to recommendations. Another person recommends a book that starts with basic math and gradually introduces concepts related to tensors and GR. The conversation ends with the original person stating their current understanding of tensors and their need for a better understanding to work through specific solutions in GR.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
Hi all, I'm fairly new to GR, and I'm also somewhat new to tensors as well. I'm looking for some detailed explanation of a tensor, as I want to begin studying GR mathematically. I watched a video that was posted on PF not too long ago that was pretty good. I'm having trouble remembering who it was, but basically it took a cube and assigned 3-space vectors to each side, and each side was represented by a vector. I can see that as an explanation, but that doesn't let me start doing math with tensors. A link that starts with something like vector calculus and goes through tensor manipulation (algebra/calculus) (I'm assuming it's different than matrix algebra/calculus) would be ideal. Explanations are great as well. If a book is HIGHLY recommended I will go buy it, but I prefer to not work through books, it's hard to keep motivation for self study with a book for some reason.

I would say I have a reasonable conceptual understanding of tensors, but am looking into reworking through specific solutions of GR. In order to do so, I need a better understanding of tensors.

Any suggestions?
BYH

Physics news on Phys.org
You might give this a try: http://preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/grtinypdf.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guy with the scary picture! I highly recommend https://www.amazon.com/dp/0957389442/?tag=pfamazon01-20 . It starts with a basic review of the math you need and gently leads you through everything! It helped me a lot before I tried more academic books.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Tensors for General Relativity: A Comprehensive Guide

1. What is tensor math and why is it important in general relativity?

Tensor math is a mathematical framework used to describe the geometry of space and time in general relativity. It is important because it allows us to understand and make predictions about the behavior of massive objects in the presence of gravity, which is essential for understanding the universe.

2. How does tensor math differ from other mathematical approaches?

Tensor math differs from other mathematical approaches in that it takes into account the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects, whereas other mathematical approaches do not. This allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects in gravitational fields.

3. What are some real-world applications of tensor math in general relativity?

Tensor math has many real-world applications in general relativity, including predicting the motion of planets, understanding the behavior of black holes, and predicting the bending of light in the presence of massive objects.

4. Is tensor math difficult to learn and understand?

Tensor math can be challenging to learn and understand, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and equations. However, with dedication and practice, it can be mastered and applied to solve a wide range of problems in general relativity.

5. What resources are available for learning tensor math for general relativity?

There are many resources available for learning tensor math for general relativity, including textbooks, online courses, and tutorials. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and differential calculus, before diving into tensor math.