Understanding Simple Harmonic Motion: Explaining x=Acos(wt+phi)

In summary, when x starts at 0 at t=0, phi is 0. If x starts at x=0 at t=0, phi is different from zero.
Jozefina Gramatikova

Homework Statement

x=Acos(wt+phi)

Homework Equations

can somebody explain to me please when phi=0. I saw many different questions with many solutions and I can't understand when we have just x=Acos(wt) and when x=Acos(wt+phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Jozefin Gramatikova said:

Homework Statement

x=Acos(wt+phi)

Homework Equations

can somebody explain to me please when phi=0. I saw many different questions with many solutions and I can't understand when we have just x=Acos(wt) and when x=Acos(wt+phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

It depends where the system starts at ##t=0##.

So, if it starts from x=0 at t=0 => phi=0? and at t=0 x=1 => phi would be different from zero?

So, if it starts from x=0 at t=0 phi=0? and at t=0 x=1 phi would be different from zero?

Yes. ##-A \le x(0) \le A##, where ##x(0)## is the displacement of the system at ##t=0##, and determines ##\phi##.

So, if it starts from x=0 at t=0 => phi=0? and at t=0 x=1 => phi would be different from zero?
Plug t=0 and ##\phi=0## into ##x(t) = A\cos(\omega t + \phi)##. Is ##x(0)## equal to 0?

vela said:
Plug t=0 and ##\phi=0## into ##x(t) = A\cos(\omega t + \phi)##. Is ##x(0)## equal to 0?
x(t)=Acos(0)
x(t)=A

x(t)=Acos(0)
x(t)=A
Presumably ##A \ne 0## otherwise there'd be no oscillating going on, so clearly ##x(0)=0## and ##\phi=0## contradict each other.

So, if it starts from x=0 at t=0 => phi=0?
No.
If it is at x0 at t=0 and at x=Acos(ωt+φ) at time t, what equation can you write for x0?

I don't know I am really confused right now.

##\cos(0) = 1##

PeroK said:
##\cos(0) = 1##
I know that :D Thats why I said:
"x(t)=Acos(0)
x(t)=A"

Just substitute those t and x values in the general equation in post #8.

x(t)=Acos(0)
When plugging in a value for t you should replace all occurrences of t.

I know that :D Thats why I said:
"x(t)=Acos(0)
x(t)=A"
You did not seem to know it in post #3.

haruspex said:
Just substitute those t and x values in the general equation in post #8.
x=Acos(ωt+φ)
x0=Acos(ω x 0+φ)
x0=Acos(ω x 0+φ)
x0=Acos(φ)?

Could you give me the right solution, please? I get more and more confused with every single post.

Could you give me the right solution, please? I get more and more confused with every single post.

Let's assume that ##A>0##, so when ##x(t) = A \cos( \omega t + \phi)##, the value of ##x(t)## oscillates back and forth between ##-A## and ##+A##. That is, ##-A \leq x(t) \leq A## for all ##t##. Furthermore, we have ##x = -A## for some ##t## and ##x = +A## for some other ##t##.

If ##\phi = 0## we have ##x(0) = A##, so that means that the motion starts at time zero from the upper end of the allowed interval. Then for a while ##x(t)## will decrease until it hits the lower end ##-A## of the allowed interval, at time ##\pi/\omega##. Then it will start to increase until it hits ##x=A## at time ##2 \pi/\omega,## etc., etc.

If you want ##x(0)## to be a point other than ##A## you need to have ##\phi \neq 0.## To help you to enhance your understanding, try the following question: "what would be the value of ##\phi## if you require ##x(0) = 0?## (Of course, because the ##\cos## function is periodic there will be many values of ##\phi## that will work, but among these there is one that is "simplest", and that is the one you should attempt to find.)

Last edited:
x0=Acos(φ)?
Yes.

Related to Understanding Simple Harmonic Motion: Explaining x=Acos(wt+phi)

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and a constant period. It can be described by a sinusoidal function, such as x = Acos(wt + phi), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, w is the angular frequency, and phi is the phase angle.

What is the equation x=Acos(wt+phi) used for?

The equation x = Acos(wt + phi) is used to describe the displacement of an object undergoing simple harmonic motion at any given time. It is derived from the basic principles of simple harmonic motion and allows for the calculation of the position of the object at any point in time.

How does the amplitude affect simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude, represented by the variable A in the equation x = Acos(wt + phi), determines the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude results in a greater distance traveled by the object during each oscillation, while a smaller amplitude results in a smaller distance traveled.

What is the significance of the angular frequency in simple harmonic motion?

The angular frequency, represented by the variable w in the equation x = Acos(wt + phi), determines the rate at which the object oscillates back and forth. A higher angular frequency results in a shorter period and faster oscillations, while a lower angular frequency results in a longer period and slower oscillations.

How is the phase angle related to simple harmonic motion?

The phase angle, represented by the variable phi in the equation x = Acos(wt + phi), determines the starting position of the object at t=0. It is often used to describe the initial displacement or initial velocity of the object in simple harmonic motion.