Understanding Set Notation: Exploring the Relationship Between Sets S and W

In summary, the conversation discusses set notation and how to describe a set of pairs in S that contain at least 1 symbol from set W. The suggested notation is correct and can also be written as a union of two sets.
ektrules
Ok, I'm not very familiar with set notation. I was just wondering if the following is correct notation and means what I think:

{x[itex]\in[/itex]S : [itex]\exists[/itex]y[itex]\in[/itex]x, y[itex]\in[/itex]W}

S is a set of pairs of symbols (tuples of length 2 is the technical term I believe). W is a set of symbols.

What I want is the set of pairs in S that contain at least 1 symbol from set W.

Does my set builder notation correctly describe what I'm looking for? I don't necessarily have to use set builder notation; I just can't think of a way to describe it with unions, intersections, and quantifiers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is correct, however it may become slightly clearer if you explicitly write down the pairs:

[tex]\{ (x, y) \in S \mid x \in W \vee y \in W \}[/tex]

If you would like to omit the set builder notation, you could consider something like
[tex](W \times X) \cup (X \times W)[/tex]
where X is the set of all symbols (and [itex]W \subseteq X[/itex]).

Related to Understanding Set Notation: Exploring the Relationship Between Sets S and W

1. What is set notation?

Set notation is a method of representing a set of objects or elements using mathematical symbols and notation. It is a concise and organized way to describe the elements in a set and their relationships.

2. How do I read set notation?

Set notation is read from left to right, with the elements of the set enclosed in curly braces {}. For example, if a set contains the numbers 1, 2, and 3, it would be written as {1, 2, 3} in set notation.

3. What are the basic symbols used in set notation?

The basic symbols used in set notation include the element symbol (∈), which means "is an element of," the subset symbol (⊆), which means "is a subset of," and the union symbol (∪) and intersection symbol (∩) which represent the operations of combining or finding common elements between sets.

4. How is set notation used in mathematics?

Set notation is used in various branches of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, and calculus, to represent and manipulate sets of numbers, variables, and other mathematical objects. It allows for precise and concise communication of mathematical concepts and relationships.

5. Are there any variations or extensions of set notation?

Yes, there are variations and extensions of set notation, such as interval notation for representing sets of real numbers, and set-builder notation for defining sets based on specific criteria. These variations and extensions allow for more flexibility and specificity in representing sets and their properties.