Understanding Sequence Notation and Finding Next 5 Terms: Homework Help

In summary, the sequence given by a_{n+2}=3a_{n+1}-2a_n, with a_1=1 and a_2=1, has all terms equal to 1. The next 5 terms would also be equal to 1. The notation a_n represents the nth term in the sequence. The formula for finding the next term is a_{n+2}=3a_{n+1}-2a_n, where a_{n+2} is the (n + 2)nd term in the sequence, a_{n+1} is the (n + 1)st term, and a_n is the nth term.
cdotter

Homework Statement

[tex]a_{n+2}=3a_{n+1}-2a_n[/itex]
[tex]a_1=1, a_2=1[/tex]
Find the next 5 terms.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand the "a sub n" notation. Could someone do the next few terms so I can see how it's done?

Physics news on Phys.org
To find a3, for example, plug in n=1 into the first equation.

So, let n=1. Then,
a1+2 = a3 = 3a2 - 2a1 = 3(1) - 2(1) = 1

[tex]a_{1+2}=3a_{1+1} + 2a_1[/tex]
a_3 = 3(1)-2(1) = 1?

cdotter said:

Homework Statement

[tex]a_{n+2}=3a_{n+1}-2a_n[/itex]
[tex]a_1=1, a_2=1[/tex]
Find the next 5 terms.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand the "a sub n" notation.
The terms in the sequence are {a1, a2, a3, ..., an, an+1, an+2, ...}.

The first formula says that to get the (n + 2)nd term in the sequence you need the preceding two terms, the (n + 1)st term and the nth term.
cdotter said:
Could someone do the next few terms so I can see how it's done?
Well, no, but maybe you can do them. You have a1 = 1 and a2 = 1. Use the first formula to get a3. Then when you have a3, use the formula again to find a4, and so on for as many terms as you need.

So any possible a_n always equals 1?

Last edited:
cdotter said:
[tex]a_{1+2}=3a_{1+1} + 2a_1[/tex]
a_3 = 3(1)-2(1) = 1?
The formula is

[tex]a_{1+2}=3a_{1+1} - 2a_1[/tex]

cdotter said:
So any possible a_n always equals 1?
For this sequence, yes.

A simpler and nonrecursive definition would be an = 1 for n = 1, 2, 3, ...

Mark44 said:
For this sequence, yes.

A simpler and nonrecursive definition would be an = 1 for n = 1, 2, 3, ...

Ok, thank you. I kept thinking I was missing something because it's stupid to ask for the next 5 terms when they're all equal to 1.

Related to Understanding Sequence Notation and Finding Next 5 Terms: Homework Help

What is sequence notation?

Sequence notation is a way of representing a pattern of numbers in a specific order. It typically involves using subscripts and a starting value to show how each term in the sequence relates to the one before it.

How do I find the next term in a sequence?

To find the next term in a sequence, you can use the sequence notation and follow the pattern to calculate the next value. Alternatively, you can also use the formula for the specific type of sequence, such as arithmetic or geometric, to find the next term.

What are the next 5 terms in a sequence?

The next 5 terms in a sequence can be found by using the sequence notation and the pattern to calculate each term. Alternatively, you can also use the formula for the specific type of sequence to find the next 5 terms.

What is the difference between arithmetic and geometric sequences?

Arithmetic sequences have a common difference between each term, meaning that the difference between any two consecutive terms is the same. Geometric sequences have a common ratio between each term, meaning that the ratio between any two consecutive terms is the same.

How can I use sequence notation to solve real-world problems?

Sequence notation can be used to represent patterns in real-world situations. By understanding the sequence notation, you can predict future values and make decisions based on the pattern. For example, it can be used in financial planning to predict future earnings based on a certain interest rate or in population studies to predict future growth based on current trends.