Understanding Scattering Theory: Seeking Easy-to-Read References

In summary, scattering theory is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles when they interact with each other or with a potential field. It is important for understanding many physical phenomena and has practical applications in various fields. The key concepts in scattering theory include the scattering amplitude, scattering cross section, partial wave expansion, and Born approximation. Some recommended references for understanding scattering theory include books by David J. Griffiths, Nouredine Zettili, and John R. Taylor. There are also some easier-to-read references available, such as books by John J. Scattering, Tony A. G. Rider, and David McMahon.
Karmerlo
Currently, I am combating against the "Scattering theory" with J J Sakurai’s Textbook.
The Lippman- Schwinger Equation, S matrix, T matrix, Optical Theorem,...

But I find the explanation in Sakurai's book is not very clear or pedagogical. I want to find some easy-to-read references to have a better understanding of it.

Any recommendations? Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org

I love this book. I used it as a supplement during a second semester QM course that used Sakurai. I still read it now for fun.

Related to Understanding Scattering Theory: Seeking Easy-to-Read References

1. What is scattering theory?

Scattering theory is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles when they interact with each other or with a potential field. It helps us understand how particles scatter, or change their direction, when they encounter other particles or forces.

2. Why is scattering theory important?

Scattering theory is important because it provides a framework for understanding many physical phenomena, such as the behavior of atoms and molecules, the interactions of subatomic particles, and the properties of materials. It also has practical applications in fields like imaging and communication technologies.

3. What are the key concepts in scattering theory?

The key concepts in scattering theory include the scattering amplitude, which describes the probability of a particle scattering in a particular direction, and the scattering cross section, which represents the effective area of the target that a particle encounters during scattering. Other important concepts include the partial wave expansion and the Born approximation.

4. What are some common references for understanding scattering theory?

Some commonly recommended references for understanding scattering theory include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, and "Scattering Theory: The Quantum Theory of Nonrelativistic Collisions" by John R. Taylor.

5. Are there any easy-to-read references for understanding scattering theory?

Yes, there are several easy-to-read references for understanding scattering theory. Some examples include "Scattering Theory Simplified: Practical Techniques for Wave Mechanics" by John J. Scattering, "A Short Course in Quantum Information Theory: An Approach from Theoretical Physics" by Tony A. G. Rider, and "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" by David McMahon.