Understanding R, c, and x in Power Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of radius of convergence and its application in power series. The speaker mentions their understanding of the ratio test and its limitations, as well as the significance of testing for endpoint convergence. They also mention the usefulness of knowing the radius of convergence in analyzing differential equations with non-elementary function solutions.
kdinser
I'm not really having problems following the directions and arriving at the correct values, but I'm not really sure what those values mean or what I'm really figuring out.
R = radius of convergence
c = center of the series

Take this one for example.
[tex]\sum\frac{(2x)^{2n}}{(2n)!}[/tex]

Subjecting this to the ratio test gives me:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{(2x)^2}{(2n+1)(2n+2)} = 0[/tex]

I get that it doesn't matter what we use for x, we will always get 0. Does that mean that R= all real numbers and is the domain of x?

I think I understand what it means when we get a finite value for R. Does it mean the series will converge if x is any value between -R and +R with c+R and c-R as the endpoints. But what does it mean when we plug in the endpoints values into the original power series and then test for convergence or divergence. Also, why is it useful for us to know this? How does this eventually get applied?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
kdinser said:
I get that it doesn't matter what we use for x, we will always get 0. Does that mean that R= all real numbers and is the domain of x?

No, it means that R (the radius of convergence) is infinite. It is the interval of convergence that is all real numbers and is the domain of f(x) (not of x).

I think I understand what it means when we get a finite value for R. Does it mean the series will converge if x is any value between -R and +R with c+R and c-R as the endpoints.

Yes.

But what does it mean when we plug in the endpoints values into the original power series and then test for convergence or divergence.

You have to test for endpoint convergence because the ratio test doesn't tell you that bit of information. Remember that the ratio test is inconclusive when the ratio of the limit of |an+1/an|=1. Well, that equality just happens to correspond to the endpoints of the interval of convergence.

The ratio test tells you that the series converges absolutely inside the IOC, and it tells you that the series diverges outside of it. It just doesn't tell you what happens at the boundaries, so you have to test those independently.

Also, why is it useful for us to know this? How does this eventually get applied?

Among other places, it gets applied in the analysis of differential equations whose solutions are not elementary functions. In those cases, you get a power series solution, and it is necessary to know when such a solution is convergent.

Thanks Tom, that and what I got out of class tonight clears things up nicely.

Fortunate

You are fortunate to understand these power series. I do not know how to think of them except to memorize the formulas. Then when they ask me a conceptual question, I am screwed.

Related to Understanding R, c, and x in Power Series

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑ an(x-c)n, where an represents the coefficients and c represents the center of the series. It is a commonly used mathematical tool in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

What is the significance of the center, c, in a power series?

The center, c, determines the point around which the series is centered and is usually the point where the function is most easily evaluated. It also affects the convergence and divergence of the series.

How do I find the radius of convergence, R, for a power series?

The radius of convergence, R, is the distance from the center, c, to the point where the series converges. It can be found by using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series.

What is the relationship between the radius of convergence, R, and the interval of convergence for a power series?

The interval of convergence is the range of values for x where the series converges. The radius of convergence, R, is equal to the length of this interval. For example, if the interval of convergence is (-2, 4), then the radius of convergence is 6.

How can I use power series to approximate functions?

Power series can be used to approximate functions by finding the series representation for the function and then evaluating it at a specific value of x. The more terms that are included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.