Understanding Qubits: How Superposition Powers Quantum Computers

In summary, the power of qubits comes from the fact that they can hold both an on and off state at the same time, which is called superposition. This allows the system to do a lot of computations before you measure the final result, and during this time, it will be in a superposition of states.
T-Oreilly
Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding the power of qubits relating to quantum computers. I've read a number of times that the power comes from the fact that instead of simply holding an on or off state (1/0), they can hold both at the same time (superposition). However, when we measure them they 'decide' on a state.

My question is, how can this third state of superposition provide a huge benefit over the 1 and 0 states of transistors, since once we use them (observe them) the states available to us is still only a 1 or a 0?

Many thanks in advance http://www.thephysicsforum.com/images/smilies/smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heinera said:
And if you have time to spare, these lecture notes by Scott Aaronson:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/

I'm looking at lecture 9 and there are many gaps. Maybe he's giving a slide show and the slides are not included.

Quantum computers are not ternary computers. Qubits are not just bits with a third state.

A qubit is a 2-level quantum system that can store states like ##a \left|0\right\rangle + b \left|1\right\rangle## where ##a^2 + b^2 = 1##.

Put ##n## qubits together, and you get a ##2^n##-level quantum system. For example, 3 qubits can store states like ##a \left|000\right\rangle + b \left|001\right\rangle + c \left|010\right\rangle + d \left|011\right\rangle + e \left|100\right\rangle + f \left|101\right\rangle + g \left|110\right\rangle + h \left|111\right\rangle## where ##a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + d^2 + e^2 + f^2 + g^2 + h^2 = 1##.

In other words, quantum computers can store a linear combination of the classical states. But the weights of the linear combination are not probabilities, which would have to satisfy ##a + b + ... + h = 1##, they are the square roots of probabilities and must satisfy ##a^2 + b^2 + ... + h^2 = 1##.

Everything else flows from that square-root-of-probability thing. Operations correspond to complex orthonormal matrices. Destructive interference is possible. Copying doesn't quite work. Everything is reversible. Entanglement is a thing. Etc.

Hornbein said:
I'm looking at lecture 9 and there are many gaps. Maybe he's giving a slide show and the slides are not included.
Do you mean that you don't see any figures or formulas?

Heinera said:
Do you mean that you don't see any figures or formulas?

I see

ask me to
exp
the Bell inequality to them

BUT when I copy this from the lecture notes and paste here, it comes out correctly!

ask me to explain the Bell inequality to them.

So I can paste the entire lecture to a Physics Forums reply box and read it that way. Golly. Well, whatever works, works.

Related to Understanding Qubits: How Superposition Powers Quantum Computers

What is a qubit?

A qubit is the basic unit of quantum information, analogous to the classical bit in classical computing. It can exist in multiple states simultaneously, known as superposition, which enables quantum computers to perform complex calculations.

How does superposition power quantum computers?

Superposition allows quantum computers to process and store information in multiple states simultaneously, vastly increasing their computational power compared to classical computers.

What is the difference between a qubit and a classical bit?

A classical bit can only exist in one of two states, 0 or 1, while a qubit can exist in both states simultaneously. This allows qubits to represent and process exponentially more information than classical bits.

What is entanglement and how does it relate to qubits?

Entanglement is a quantum phenomenon where two or more qubits become correlated and can no longer be described as separate entities. This property allows for faster communication and increased computational power in quantum computing.

What are the potential applications of quantum computing?

Quantum computers have the potential to revolutionize fields such as cryptography, drug development, and artificial intelligence. They can also help solve complex optimization problems and simulate quantum systems. However, the technology is still in its early stages and further research is needed to fully realize its potential.