Understanding Poisson Brackets in Symplectic Notation

In summary, the conversation is about a particular equation in a book that the speaker is having trouble understanding. They introduce notation and explain how it can be written as MJMT, with M being the Jacobian matrix and J being defined in the textbook. The conversation ends with a suggestion to write down the matrices and see how the multiplications result in the familiar Poisson bracket expressions.
aaaa202
Okay there is a particular equation in my book, which I just can't seem to understand intuitively. I've been staring at it for an hour now without progress, so I hope some of you can explain it.
Basically it's the one on the attached picture.
Let me introduce the notation so you can help me:
[itex]\varsigma[/itex] is a vector with the new set of canonical coordinates (Q1,...Qn,P1,...,Pn) which are viewed as function of the old coordinates [itex]\eta[/itex] = (q1,..,qn,p1,...,pn). The matrix poisson bracket [[itex]\varsigma[/itex],[itex]\varsigma[/itex]][itex]\eta[/itex] then comprise the matrix with the following poisson brackets as elements [[itex]\varsigma[/itex]l,[itex]\varsigma[/itex]k][itex]\eta[/itex].
It should then be intuitive that this can be written as MJMT. Where M is the jacobian matrix with elements Mij = [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]\varsigma[/itex]i/[itex]\partial[/itex][itex]\eta[/itex]j
How do I realize that?

Attachments

• equation.png
    equation.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
This is just the definition of Poisson brackets in symplectic notation.I don't think it follows from anywhere.
I guess,you can explicitly write down the matrices explicitly for one or two independent co-ordinates,write down the matrix J explicitly(as defined in your textbook),and we will see the matrix multiplications grinding out the non symplectic familiar poisson bracket expressions.

Related to Understanding Poisson Brackets in Symplectic Notation

1. What is a Poisson bracket?

A Poisson bracket is a mathematical operator used to calculate the time evolution of a physical system. It is commonly used in statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

2. How is a Poisson bracket calculated?

A Poisson bracket is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of two functions with respect to the variables in the system, and then multiplying them together and adding them up.

3. What are the properties of a Poisson bracket?

A Poisson bracket has several important properties, including linearity, anti-symmetry, and the Jacobi identity. These properties help to define the behavior of the bracket and make it a useful tool in mathematical calculations.

4. What is the significance of Poisson brackets in physics?

Poisson brackets are important in physics because they allow us to describe the time evolution of physical systems and calculate important quantities such as energy and momentum. They are also used in Hamiltonian mechanics and quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles and systems.

5. How are Poisson brackets related to other mathematical operators?

Poisson brackets are closely related to other mathematical operators such as commutators and Lie brackets. They are all used to describe the behavior of physical systems and have similar properties, such as anti-symmetry and the Jacobi identity.