Understanding Odd and Even Functions in Double Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of even and odd functions and their relevance in integration. It is explained that a function is even if it is symmetric about the y-axis and odd if it is symmetric about the origin. The function ##x^2 - x^4## is determined to be even, and it is noted that the sum of two even functions is also even. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding general even and odd functions.
Evilavatar2

Homework Statement

Hi, I am not asking for solution for any problem as i already have the given solution for the problem. Instead, what i want clarify is what do they mean by the odd and even function and how do they get 0? Also, is there a need to change the order from dxdy to dydx?

Attachments

• IMG_20170303_130229.jpg
    IMG_20170303_130229.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 443
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
PeroK said:
If the function ##x^2 - x^4## even or odd or neither?

It's even.

If the all exponential numbers are even the function is even, if all are odd function is odd and if there are both odd and even exponential numbers the functions is neither odd nor even.

mastermechanic said:
It's even.

And the sum of any two even functions?

PeroK said:
And the sum of any two even functions?

I edited my answer read again

mastermechanic said:
It's even.

If the all exponential numbers are even the function is even, if all are odd function is odd and if there are both odd and even exponential numbers the functions is neither odd nor even.

If you want to generalise, you should be thinking about general even and odd functions.

Are you still confused about he one in your integral?

If so, try plugging in ##x = 1## and ##x = -1##, say, and see how the function values compare.

PeroK said:
If you want to generalise, you should be thinking about general even and odd functions.

Are you still confused about he one in your integral?

If so, try plugging in ##x = 1## and ##x = -1##, say, and see how the function values compare.

I'm not the one who confused about the even-odd functions :D You should say it to topic owner

Likes PeroK
mastermechanic said:
I'm not the one who confused about the even-odd functions :D You should say it to topic owner

Sorry! Although, I'm not sure why you jumped in and answered the question I asked the OP?

PeroK said:
Sorry! Although, I'm not sure why you jumped in and answered the question I asked the OP?

I thought you asked because you really don't know it that's why I answered

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
Thanks alot! i got it.

Likes Simon Bridge

Related to Understanding Odd and Even Functions in Double Integrals

1. What is a double integral in calculus?

A double integral in calculus is an extension of a single integral, which is used to find the area under a curve. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the xy-plane, and the result is a volume. It is represented by two nested integrals, with one integral inside the other.

2. How is a double integral evaluated?

A double integral is evaluated using a process called iterated integration. This involves integrating the inner integral with respect to one variable and treating the other variable as a constant, and then integrating the resulting function with respect to the other variable. This process can be repeated for higher dimensions, such as triple or n-fold integrals.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite double integral?

A definite double integral has specific limits of integration and therefore gives a numerical value as the result. An indefinite double integral does not have specific limits and represents a family of functions, which can be differentiated to find a particular solution to a differential equation.

4. What are some applications of double integrals in real life?

Double integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the center of mass of an object, to find the volume of a 3D shape, or to determine the average value of a function over a region. They are also used in probability and statistics to find the joint probability of two events.

5. Can a double integral be evaluated using other methods besides iterated integration?

Yes, there are other methods for evaluating double integrals, such as the method of polar coordinates, which is useful for integrating functions with circular symmetry. Another method is using the change of variables technique, which allows for transforming the integral into a simpler form. Additionally, numerical methods, such as Simpson's rule or Monte Carlo integration, can be used to approximate the value of a double integral.