Understanding Nonlinear Analysis in ANSYS: A Tutorial for Scientists

In summary, the conversation discusses performing nonlinear analysis in ANSYS with NLGEOM. The tutorial and APDL code for a cantilever beam are mentioned, along with the use of non-linear geometry analysis and auto time stepping. The maximum displacement is compared with and without NLGEOM, with the result being less displacement when NLGEOM is used. The speaker also mentions wanting to learn about "luders hands" for an exam the next day.
timewilltell
hi,

I have some confusion for performing nonlinear analysis in ANSYS with NLGEOM... I was following the tutorial, the APDL is given below

/prep7 ! start preprocessor
/title,NonLinear Analysis of Cantilever Beam
k,1,0,0,0 ! define keypoints
k,2,5,0,0 ! 5" beam (length)
l,1,2 ! define line
et,1,beam3 ! Beam
r,1,0.03125,4.069e-5,0.125 ! area, izz, height of beam
mp,ex,1,30.0e6 ! Young's Modulus
mp,prxy,1,0.3 ! Poisson's ratio
esize,0.1 ! element size of 0.1"
lmesh,all ! mesh the line
finish ! stop preprocessor
/solu ! start solution phase
antype,static ! static analysis
nlgeom,on ! turn on non-linear geometry analysis
autots,on ! auto time stepping
nsubst,5,1000,1 ! Size of first substep=1/5 of the total load, max # substeps=1000, min # substeps=1
outres,all,all ! save results of all iterations
dk,1,all ! constrain all DOF on ground
fk,2,mz,-100 ! applied moment
solve
/post1
pldisp,1 ! display deformed mesh
PRNSOL,U,X ! lists horizontal deflections

the maximum displacement is 1.019

now without NLGEOM option that is just omitting these lines from above apdl prog

nlgeom,on ! turn on non-linear geometry analysis
autots,on ! auto time stepping
nsubst,5,1000,1 ! Size of first substep=1/5 of the total load, max # substeps=1000, min # substeps=1
outres,all,all ! save results of all iterations

maximum displacement is 1.024 , which should be less then the previous analysis with NLGEOM on

I don't understand this... kindly guide me where I am wrong

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello,

"Nlgeom,on" takes into account nonlinearities in your analysis, i.e. the stiffness matrix is re-evaluated for each substep. The structure is more rigid (come back to school), consequently the displacement is reduced compared with the case "Nlgeom,off".

Rgds.

hi ; my name is hossam
i want to any thing about luders hands
i have an exam tomorrow
anybody respond to me quiqly

Related to Understanding Nonlinear Analysis in ANSYS: A Tutorial for Scientists

1. What is nonlinear analysis in ANSYS?

Nonlinear analysis in ANSYS is a method used to solve complex engineering problems that involve nonlinear material behavior, large deformations, and contact. It allows for more accurate simulation of real-world scenarios compared to linear analysis, which assumes linear material behavior and small deformations.

2. What types of problems can be solved using nonlinear analysis in ANSYS?

Nonlinear analysis in ANSYS can be used to solve a wide range of engineering problems, such as plastic deformation, buckling, contact, and material nonlinearity. It is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and structural engineering.

3. What are the advantages of using nonlinear analysis in ANSYS?

Nonlinear analysis in ANSYS offers several advantages over linear analysis, including the ability to accurately simulate real-world scenarios, consider nonlinear material behavior, and predict failure and instability of structures. It also allows for more detailed analysis of complex geometries and loading conditions.

4. What are the limitations of using nonlinear analysis in ANSYS?

Nonlinear analysis in ANSYS requires more computational resources and time compared to linear analysis. It also requires a good understanding of nonlinear material behavior and contact mechanics to set up the simulation correctly. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of engineering problems.

5. How does ANSYS handle nonlinear analysis?

ANSYS uses a variety of solution methods to handle nonlinear analysis, such as the Newton-Raphson method, Arc-Length method, and Load Stepping method. These methods allow for the simulation to converge to a solution by iteratively adjusting the applied loads and solving the resulting equations until equilibrium is reached.