Understanding Natural Logs and e: Simplifying Expressions with ln and e

In summary, the student was reviewing their high school notes and came across a multiple choice question involving logarithms. They incorrectly simplified e^ln(x) + ln(y) to e^ln(x+y) and arrived at the answer x+y. However, the correct simplification is ln(xy) and using the fact that e^ln(x) = x, the final answer is xy. The student received clarification on the correct log identities and gained a better understanding of natural logs.
Iron_Brute
I am starting my first year of college and I reviewing my high school notes from trig pre-cal and there was one thing I couldn't figure out. It was a multiple choice question and I don't have the textbook anymore but the answer I circled I can't understand how I arrived to that answer.

Homework Statement

Given that x> 0 and y> 0, simplify e^ln(x) + ln(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was:
e^ln(x+y)
e^x+y
and I circled the answer: X+Y, but I get e^x+y which as an answer. All I wrote was ln and e cancel but I don't understand how they cancel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean e^(ln(x) + ln(y)) ? If that's the case, then you add the two logarithms to get ln(xy) since the arguments are multiplied in log addition. Then using the fact that e^ln(x) = x, you have e^(ln(xy)) = xy. I'm not sure if that answers your question.

To see why e^ln(x) = x. Remember that ln(x) = log base e of x. Let ln(x) = y. Then converting to exponentiation gives e^y = x, but y = ln(x). Hence e^ln(x) = x.

Iron_Brute said:
I am starting my first year of college and I reviewing my high school notes from trig pre-cal and there was one thing I couldn't figure out. It was a multiple choice question and I don't have the textbook anymore but the answer I circled I can't understand how I arrived to that answer.

Homework Statement

Given that x> 0 and y> 0, simplify e^ln(x) + ln(y)
Do you mean e^(ln(x)+ ln(y))? What you wrote is e^(ln(x))+ ln(y).

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was:
e^ln(x+y)
No, ln(x)+ ln(y) is not equal to ln(x+ y). As snipez90 said, ln(x)+ ln(y)= ln(xy).
Then, of course, e^(ln(xy))= xy since e^x and ln(x) are inverse functions.

e^x+y
and I circled the answer: X+Y, but I get e^x+y which as an answer. All I wrote was ln and e cancel but I don't understand how they cancel.
Another way to do that is to use the fact that e^(a+b)= e^a e^b:
e^(ln(x)+ ln(y))= (e^ln(x))(e^ln(y))= (x)(y)= xy.

Thanks for the help. I see where I made my mistake now. I was using the wrong log identities, and misunderstand certain things about natural logs.

Related to Understanding Natural Logs and e: Simplifying Expressions with ln and e

What is the difference between natural log and e?

Natural log, denoted as ln, is the logarithmic function with base e. This means that ln(x) is the power to which e must be raised to equal x. On the other hand, e is a mathematical constant with an approximate value of 2.71828. It is the base of the natural logarithm, and it is often used in exponential functions, such as e^x.

How do I solve for e in a natural log equation?

To solve for e in a natural log equation, you can use the inverse property of logarithms. For example, if you have ln(e^x) = 2, you can rewrite it as e^x = e^2 and then solve for x by taking the natural log of both sides, which would give you x = 2.

Why is e important in mathematics and science?

E is a fundamental constant in mathematics and science, and it appears in many important formulas and equations. It is used to represent many natural patterns, such as growth and decay, and it has applications in calculus, statistics, and physics.

What happens when you take the natural log of a negative number?

The natural log function is only defined for positive numbers, so taking the natural log of a negative number is undefined. This is because the natural log of a number represents the power to which e must be raised to equal that number, and there is no real number that satisfies this condition for negative numbers.

How is e related to compound interest and continuous growth?

E is used in compound interest and continuous growth formulas because it represents the instantaneous rate of change. This means that as the time intervals become infinitely small, the value of e^(rt) approaches the actual value of the investment or growth. This makes it a useful constant in financial calculations and modeling continuous processes in science.