Understanding Matrix Transformations: Solving a Common Homework Problem

In summary, the problem the person is having is that they do not understand how to use a division symbol to indicate a break in the line. They are also having difficulty understanding the equation because it is not equal to what the answer is.
Gurvir

Homework Statement

MatrixTransformations.png

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Well guys, this is a problem I've been having for the last 2 days and with my midterm tomorrow I have no time to fiddle around with it.

So, I do not understand how (where it says b) how

Im going to use a division symbol ( / ) for indicating a break in the line.

(3x+5y)[1 / -2] + (4x+7y)[-1 / 1] is equal to [-x-2y / -2x-3y]

I have no understanding of this, because if you think of [x / y] which means it should be [(3(1) + 5(-2)) / (4(-1) + 7(1))]

which is equal to [3x-10y / -4x+7y] which is not equal what the answer is.

I hope you understand what I am asking and need a response asap, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gurvir said:

Homework Statement

MatrixTransformations.png

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Well guys, this is a problem I've been having for the last 2 days and with my midterm tomorrow I have no time to fiddle around with it.

So, I do not understand how (where it says b) how

Im going to use a division symbol ( / ) for indicating a break in the line.

(3x+5y)[1 / -2] + (4x+7y)[-1 / 1] is equal to [-x-2y / -2x-3y]

I have no understanding of this, because if you think of [x / y] which means it should be [(3(1) + 5(-2)) / (4(-1) + 7(1))]
No. It means that (3x + 5y) is a scalar that multiplies each component of the vector <1, -2>T. Here T means transpose. I'm writing a column vector as a row vector. So you get the vector <3x + 5y, -6x - 10y>T

Same with (4x + 7y). It multiplies each component of <-1, 1>T.

Now add the two vectors together and you should get <-x - 2y, -2x - 3y>T.
Gurvir said:
which is equal to [3x-10y / -4x+7y] which is not equal what the answer is.

I hope you understand what I am asking and need a response asap, thanks in advance!

Mark44 said:
No. It means that (3x + 5y) is a scalar that multiplies each component of the vector <1, -2>T. Here T means transpose. I'm writing a column vector as a row vector. So you get the vector <3x + 5y, -6x - 10y>T

Same with (4x + 7y). It multiplies each component of <-1, 1>T.

Now add the two vectors together and you should get <-x - 2y, -2x - 3y>T.

AHHH! Hahaha, I'm stressing to much! Thank you so much! Finally, finished Matrix Transformations. Well studying it :D

Related to Understanding Matrix Transformations: Solving a Common Homework Problem

1. What are matrix transformations?

Matrix transformations are mathematical operations that involve multiplying a matrix with another matrix or vector to create a new matrix or vector. They are often used in computer graphics, physics, and other fields to manipulate shapes, objects, and data.

2. How are matrix transformations used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, matrix transformations are used to transform and manipulate objects in a 3D space. They can be used to translate, rotate, and scale objects, as well as perform other complex transformations like shearing and reflection.

3. What is the difference between a 2D and 3D matrix transformation?

A 2D matrix transformation involves a 2x2 matrix, while a 3D matrix transformation involves a 3x3 matrix. 2D matrix transformations are used for 2D objects and operations, while 3D matrix transformations are used for 3D objects and operations.

4. How do you perform a matrix transformation?

To perform a matrix transformation, you need to multiply the original matrix with a transformation matrix. The transformation matrix contains the values for the desired transformation, such as translation, rotation, or scaling. The resulting matrix will be the transformed version of the original matrix.

5. What are the applications of matrix transformations in science?

Matrix transformations have various applications in science, including physics, engineering, and data analysis. They can be used to model physical systems, analyze data sets, and solve complex equations. They are also essential in computer simulations and computer graphics.