Understanding Matrix Transformations on the x-axis

In summary, the matrix D bisects the line segment PP' at a constant angle, no matter what point P is chosen.
Natasha1
My question is:

If P' is the image of P under a matrix D = (1, -4, 0, -1) as follows (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right). If P is not on the x-axis, why is PP' bisected by the x-axis and is at a constant angle to the x-axis, for any choice of P? :confused:

I can visually see what's happening but how can I show it? Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is exceedingly unclear.

What is P'P?

I'm completely lost myself.

I see your matrices and all, but that's about it.

Can anyone crack this one??:rolleyes:

Natasha1 said:
My question is:

If P' is the image of P under a matrix D = (1, -4, 0, -1) as follows (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right). If P is not on the x-axis, why is PP' bisected by the x-axis and is at a constant angle to the x-axis, for any choice of P? :confused:

I can visually see what's happening but how can I show it? Please help
I started to do this yesterday but the Tex apparently wasn't working.

The best I can say is do it! Let P be (x,y) (with y non-zero) and multiply it by D: P'= DP so that you have P' in terms of x and y.

What is the midpoint of the line segment PP'? what is the slope of that line?

HallsofIvy said:
I started to do this yesterday but the Tex apparently wasn't working.

The best I can say is do it! Let P be (x,y) (with y non-zero) and multiply it by D: P'= DP so that you have P' in terms of x and y.

What is the midpoint of the line segment PP'? what is the slope of that line?

Well I get that the midpoint of the line segment PP' is the x-axis and the line is y = 1/4 x which means the slope is tan-1 (0.25) so theta = 14.04 degrees? Is this correct?

Natasha1 said:
Well I get that the midpoint of the line segment PP' is the x-axis and the line is y = 1/4 x which means the slope is tan-1 (0.25) so theta = 14.04 degrees? Is this correct?

The midpoint of PP' is on the x-axis. What does that tell you about "why is PP' bisected by the x-axis"?

Technically, the slope is 1/4, slope is not the angle. In any case, the slope does not depend on the point P?? What does that tell you about "and is at a constant angle to the x-axis, for any choice of P"?

HallsofIvy said:
The midpoint of PP' is on the x-axis. What does that tell you about "why is PP' bisected by the x-axis"?

Technically, the slope is 1/4, slope is not the angle. In any case, the slope does not depend on the point P?? What does that tell you about "and is at a constant angle to the x-axis, for any choice of P"?

I can't answer the why in the "why is PP' bisected by the x-axis"? I can only say that the x-axis will be the midpoint of any P chosen except if it's on the x-axis itself. But that of course is a consequence, can't answer why :-(

Honestly I can't answer this question, I'm going to give it a miss I think. I can visualise see it by I can't explain why. The lines PP' will always be parallel but a part from that what can I say?

"Bisect" means "divide into equal parts". If the midpoint of PP' is always on the x-axis then the x-axis bisects the PP'!

And if the lines PP' are always parallel, no matter what P is, then they cross the x-axis at a constant angle, don't they?

That's all this problem is asking you to say!

HallsofIvy said:
"Bisect" means "divide into equal parts". If the midpoint of PP' is always on the x-axis then the x-axis bisects the PP'!

And if the lines PP' are always parallel, no matter what P is, then they cross the x-axis at a constant angle, don't they?

That's all this problem is asking you to say!

Thanks Sir that will do :wink:

Related to Understanding Matrix Transformations on the x-axis

1. What are matrices and transformations?

Matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers or symbols that are used to represent data in a concise and organized manner. Transformations refer to the changes that can be applied to a matrix, resulting in a new matrix with altered values.

2. How are matrices and transformations used in science?

Matrices and transformations are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, computer science, and statistics. They are used to represent and analyze data, solve equations, and model complex systems.

3. What are the different types of transformations?

There are multiple types of transformations, including translation, rotation, reflection, and scaling. These transformations can be applied to matrices in different combinations to represent a wide range of real-world phenomena.

4. What is the importance of matrices and transformations in computer graphics?

Matrices and transformations are essential in computer graphics as they allow for the creation and manipulation of images in two or three dimensions. They are used to represent and transform objects, create animations, and simulate real-world physics.

5. Are there any real-life applications of matrices and transformations?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of matrices and transformations. They are used in image and signal processing, data compression, cryptography, and financial modeling. They are also used in the design and analysis of structures and systems, such as bridges, circuits, and networks.