Understanding Magnetars and Neutron Stars

• Thread starter serp777
  • Start date
In summary, neutron stars have a complex structure that includes an atmosphere of electrons and plasma gas, a crust made of polarized finite nuclei, and a core made of neutrons and other charged particles. The composition and charge of the neutron star can change dynamically due to various reactions taking place within the star. For more detailed information, there are various resources available, such as books and articles, that discuss the structure and formation of neutron stars.
serp777
I'm confused how a magnetar could exist, given that the point of a neutron star is that electrons are compressed enough to combine with protons, thus leading to neutrons. If all the electrons were "used up" how could there be any currents, especially since neutrons can't conduct current anyways? Thanks for any answers

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I quote from wikipedia source you provided

"Such stars are composed almost entirely of neutrons, which are subatomic particles without net electrical charge and with slightly larger mass than protons."

Read the "Structure" section in that same link.

serp777 said:
I quote from wikipedia source you provided

"Such stars are composed almost entirely of neutrons, which are subatomic particles without net electrical charge and with slightly larger mass than protons."

I don't much care for that Wiki page. That's just plain wrong. Neutron star crusts have plenty of nuclei and free electrons, and neutron star cores are a few percent protons and electrons. The cores are so dense that the density of charge carriers is extremely high, possibly the highest in the Universe.

ImaLooser said:
I don't much care for that Wiki page. That's just plain wrong. Neutron star crusts have plenty of nuclei and free electrons, and neutron star cores are a few percent protons and electrons. The cores are so dense that the density of charge carriers is extremely high, possibly the highest in the Universe.

I sure would like some reference(s) to better, more detailed, and more accurate descriptions of neutron stars. Would you please post some? Thank you.

Bobbywhy said:
I sure would like some reference(s) to better, more detailed, and more accurate descriptions of neutron stars. Would you please post some? Thank you.

How detailed do you want? This book looks very good. It even has extracts posted online that covers the Outer Envelope and Envelopes with Strong Magnetic Fields.

Bobbywhy said:

There's a magnatar page by the guy who originally proposed they exist. http://solomon.as.utexas.edu/~duncan/magnetar.html

Now there's a real expert.

Neutron stars structure is highly composite, in fact for the core of pulsars like magnetars is yet more or less unknown.

Neutron stars have an atmosphere of almost electron and plasma gas (sometimes liquid), that even if few cm thick can generate great magnetic field, having plasmon resonances and so on and a rich spectrum... So here you have electrons and finite nuclei (with protons and neutrons)

Then the crust of the neutron star can be divided into outer and inner crust. The outer crust is roughly half a km wide ad made mostly of a lattice of completely polarized finite nuclei. Usally (but not always) neutron rich. But you have again the same order of magnitude of protons and neutrons.

The inner crust runs deep for a couple of km and it is made mostly by a sea of neutrons but have a lot of proton "impurities" that condense to form bulges of protons. The ratio is about 50 condensed protons to 1000 of neutrons in most models.

Then you have the core, divided in
outer core, 4/5 km deep, made by neutrons, but again not so few protons created by the neutrino emission for cooling of the stars toghether with muons
and the misterious inner core, also approx 5 km deep, with a still unknown composition, but always with some charged material in the center: in most models toghether with p and n exotic baryons such as hyperions, but also condensed pions, kaons or even free quarks.

Above all, take into account that the neutron star is a very dynamic environment, like in a star there are a lot of nuclear reactions going on, mostly because it have to find ingenuous way to cool itself, but in such a system also weak force-based reactions are feasible and so the components, and even their charge (due to the weak-force driven reactions), change dynamically.

Raghnar said:
Above all, take into account that the neutron star is a very dynamic environment, like in a star there are a lot of nuclear reactions going on, mostly because it have to find ingenuous way to cool itself, but in such a system also weak force-based reactions are feasible and so the components, and even their charge (due to the weak-force driven reactions), change dynamically.

Where might I learn more about this?

Related to Understanding Magnetars and Neutron Stars

1. How do magnetars form?

Magnetars are believed to form through the collapse of a massive star during a supernova explosion. As the core of the star collapses, the magnetic field becomes highly concentrated, resulting in a magnetar.

2. What makes magnetars different from other types of neutron stars?

Magnetars are different from other types of neutron stars due to their extremely strong magnetic fields. The magnetic field of a magnetar is so powerful that it can distort the structure of the star and affect its surrounding environment.

3. How strong is the magnetic field of a magnetar?

The magnetic field of a magnetar is incredibly strong, measuring at around 10^14 to 10^15 gauss. This is trillions of times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field and is strong enough to tear apart the atoms in a human body if one were to get too close.

4. How do we detect magnetars?

We detect magnetars through their emission of X-rays and gamma rays. These high-energy emissions can be observed by telescopes and satellites, allowing us to locate and study magnetars in our galaxy.

5. What can we learn from studying magnetars?

Studying magnetars can provide valuable insights into the extreme conditions that exist in the universe, such as the effects of strong magnetic fields and the physics of neutron stars. It can also help us better understand the processes of stellar evolution and supernova explosions.