Understanding Lorentz Transformation: Explained and Recommended Readings

In summary, the person is asking for help understanding a specific topic in physics. They say they are going to high school and are studying for an astronomy Olympiad, so they suspect they are dealing with boosts along the x-axis. They also mention they want to know if the result of the Einstein's train thought experiment will be the same if they use something else instead of light.
Sobhan
I can't understand the transformation can anyone explain it to me.and suggest a good book on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize that you are essentially asking people to write you part of a textbook? You will get a lot more out of Physics Forums if you read a real textbook first and then ask about anything specific which you find problematic or unclear.

Likes vanhees71
My problem is that I don't know a good book to read.

What is a good book depends a lot on your current level in physics. A physics university student is going to find books written for people who have not seen physics since high school too simplistic and so on. You are really giving too little information.

Depending on your level, you might also have to come to terms with the fact that without several years of intensive studies, you may not really understand it.

Pursuing further Orodruin's tack ...

Where have you seen Lorentz transformations? In a sophomore/junior U.S. modern physics course (physicists call these boosts along the x-axis)? In a (post)grad course on quantum field theory? Somewhere else?

There is a course in my school about the special relativity,and i can not use this transformation correctly to solve problems,so i wanted to have deeper studies on it.

Sobhan said:
There is a course in my school about the special relativity,and i can not use this transformation correctly to solve problems,so i wanted to have deeper studies on it.

Again: please give more information! Is this a High School course which happens to cover some SR? Is this a college course about General Physics which covers some SR? Is this a dedicated SR course? In which grade are you?
What are the problems you're having with them. Can you give us a problem you cannot do and tell us why you cannot do it?

Likes vanhees71
Sobhan said:
in my school

But you have not even told us what kind of school you are going to, which makes it completely impossible for us to guess your level. If you want help you need to provide sufficient information, otherwise we would just be guessing wildly and people here are not the kind of people who like doing so.

well i am going to high school and studying for astronomy Olympiad and one of the subjects i have got to go through is cosmology.

So I suspect you mean boosts restricted to one particular axis.

You will then want a very non-mathematical treatment. You could try something like Relativity for poets by @bcrowell . It is a non-mathematical treatment of relativity which you can download for free.

@bcrowell : I just noticed you have a bad page break between pages 55 and 57. Page 56 is a set of figures and page 57 only contains the words "earth's surface", just thought you might want to know.

well what i want more is kinematics in special relativity

A short, good book that might be suitable for good high school students is "A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime: An Introduction to the Special Theory of Relativity" by Thomas Moore.

I saw a question which i want to check if i am right or not.
the question is about relativity of simultaneity and it asks to show the Einstein's train thought experiment result will be the same if we use something else instead of light,what i did is this:

Attachments

• Snapshots.jpg
    Snapshots.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 401
Ia the above writing understandable?

Related to Understanding Lorentz Transformation: Explained and Recommended Readings

1. What is Lorentz Transformation?

Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical formula used to describe the relationship between space and time in Einstein's theory of special relativity. It explains how measurements of space and time are affected by the relative motion of two observers.

2. Why is Lorentz Transformation important?

Lorentz Transformation is important because it is a fundamental concept in special relativity, which is a crucial part of modern physics. It helps us understand how the laws of physics remain the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. How does Lorentz Transformation work?

Lorentz Transformation involves a set of equations that relate the coordinates of an event in one frame of reference to the coordinates of the same event in a different frame of reference. It takes into account the speed of light and the relative velocities of the two observers.

4. What are some real-world applications of Lorentz Transformation?

Lorentz Transformation has many applications, including in the fields of particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction, and it also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators.

5. Where can I learn more about Lorentz Transformation?

There are many resources available for learning about Lorentz Transformation, including textbooks, online tutorials, and scientific papers. Some recommended readings include "Special Relativity" by Albert Einstein and "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Wolfgang Rindler.