Understanding Lorentz Representations and Their Corresponding Identities

In summary, there is a difference between the direct sum and direct product representations. The direct sum of Weyl representations (1/2,0) and (0,1/2) is a Dirac representation (it is reducible) and the direct product of Weyl representations (1/2,0) and (0,1/2) is a vector representation (it is irreducible). The book "Field Theory - A Modern Primer" by P.Ramond states that (1/2,0)*(0,1/2)=(1/2,1/2), while the Wikipedia page on Lorentz representations states that (1/2,0)*(0,1/2) corresponds
Sombrero
Hello everyone,

In wikipedia when searching Lorentz representations, there is given that (1/2,0)*(0,1/2) corresponds to Dirac spinor representation and (1/2,1/2) is vector representation, but in P.Ramond's book "Field Theory - A Modern Primer" I read (1/2,0)*(0,1/2)=(1/2,1/2), obviously I suffer from leak of knowledge.

Please advise me how do I understand this line (1/2,0)*(0,1/2)=(1/2,1/2) properly and not to think that Dirac representation = Vector representation?

Also how do I identify that (1,0) representation from (1/2,0)*(1/2,0)=(0,0)*(1,0) corresponds to ""self-dual 2 form representation", could you tell me where do I find these rules or some books to read about this?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a difference between the direct sum and direct product representations. The direct sum of Weyl representations (1/2,0) and (0,1/2) is a Dirac representation (it is reducible) and the direct product of Weyl representations (1/2,0) and (0,1/2) is a vector representation (it is irreducible).

Ramond is correct and the last time i checked the Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representations_of_the_Lorentz_Group
was correct as well.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Dear dextercioby thanks for your reply,
Could you advise me some books about this issue?

Thank you in advance

Yes, i think Moshe Carmeli's "Group Theory and General Relativity" should be an easy useful read. Wu Ki Tung's "Group Theory in Physics" is also easy to read.

Especially for the Lorentz group the best by far treatment is in Wiedemann-Kirsten et al. "Introduction to supersummetry". It will help you se what's with the (anti)selfdual 2-forms.

Daniel.

Dear PF,
Just recently I got book (Group Theory of Physics by Wu-Ki Tung), I had a glance through it.
I have a question:

SU(2)*SU(2) is isomorphic to Lorentz group (Let symbol “*” be a direct product), so to know everything on Lorentz group it is sufficient to be familiar with SU(2). Let us consider the direct product of fundamental representations of SU(2) - SU(2)*SU(2) when j=1/2 for each and from these two SU(2) with J=1/2 each we get (1/2,1/2) correct? Correct. (1/2 , 1/2) is vector representation so does all this mean that from two sets of generators of fundamental representation of SU(2) (from Pauli Matrices) somehow we get Lorentz generators for vector transformation?

What I say wrong here?
Thank you

Nothing is wrong up to the fact that [itex] SU(2)\times SU(2) [/itex] is only locally isomorphic to [itex] \mathcal{L}_{+}^{\uparrow} [/itex].

Dexter I really appreciate ur quick responses that's really very helpful. Thanks

So can I from two sets of generators of fundamental representation of SU(2) (from Pauli Matrices) somehow get Lorentz generators for vector transformation?

The generators of a direct product representation are the sums of the corresponding generators of its constituent representations.

Just reformulating my question: Do sums of generators of fundamental SU(2) representations give corresponding generators of vector resentation?

Transformations of Weyl representation are represented by Pauli matrices, and this direct product of Weyl representations (1/2,0) and (0,1/2) is a vector representation. Can I get (4*4) Generator for vector transformation (vector representation) from Pauli matrices?

Thank you

Related to Understanding Lorentz Representations and Their Corresponding Identities

1. What is the Lorentz group?

The Lorentz group is a mathematical concept in physics that describes the symmetries of special relativity. It is a group of transformations that preserves the fundamental laws of physics under changing coordinate systems and includes rotations and boosts.

2. Why is it important to learn about the Lorentz group?

Learning about the Lorentz group is important because it is the mathematical foundation for special relativity, which is a fundamental theory in modern physics. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects at high speeds and in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

3. How do you represent the Lorentz group mathematically?

The Lorentz group is represented mathematically using matrices in four dimensions. These matrices are known as Lorentz transformations and they describe how coordinates and physical quantities change under different reference frames.

4. What are the applications of the Lorentz group?

The Lorentz group has many applications in physics, including in the fields of particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It is also used in engineering and technology, such as in the design of particle accelerators and in the development of GPS systems.

5. Is the Lorentz group the same as the Galilean group?

No, the Lorentz group and the Galilean group are different mathematical concepts. The Galilean group describes the symmetries of classical mechanics, while the Lorentz group is used in special relativity. The two groups have different transformation rules and do not behave the same way under certain conditions.