Understanding Loop Problems in Roller Coaster Physics

In summary, Lori-Anne got stuck on how fast the block needs to be going at the bottom of the ramp so that the acceleration of the block at the top of the loop is 4g, but she also got stuck on the second question which asks what the speed of the block is as it exits the loop if the normal force at the top of the loop was 80N. The first question is just a trick question, and the second question is asking for information that is missing.
moonpearl
hi there, I'm planning to take university physics in the fall, but I'm lousy at it and doing some practise problems in advance :( i was doing some loop problems, and I'm extremely confused and disheartened and was wondering if anyone could help me?

The set up is pretty simple:
- there is a ramp of height, H
- A block is released from H
- At the bottom of the ramp there is a loop with radius of 10m, and R<H
- The block is 1kg

The question I got stuck on is:
1. How fast does the block need to be going at the bottom of the ramp so that the acceleration of the block at the top of the loop is 4g?

- I thought this was simply A=v^2/r, where A=4g, giving me v=(4gr)^(1/2).
- I put in R=10, my answer is wrong, and I guess it wasn't as simple I thought. :| How should I actually go about this?

I also don't get this question:
2. What is the speed of the block as it exits the loop if the normal force at the top of the loop was 80N.
-I made Fnet=normal force + mg, then substituted to get Fnet=80+(1kg)(9.8N)=898N.
- Made Fnet=(mv^2)/r, where r=10. Again, my answer is wrong, so am I just oversimplifying these problems? Is there a better way to do them?

Thanks so much in advance!

Lori-Anne

Physics news on Phys.org
moonpearl said:
1. How fast does the block need to be going at the bottom of the ramp so that the acceleration of the block at the top of the loop is 4g?
Kind of a trick question. The block always gets 1g of downwards acceleration from gravity, so the block only needs 3g's of acceleration from the tracks at the top of the loop.

Update they didn't take the 1g downwards of accleration into account as part of the 4 g's of acceleraion.
2. What is the speed of the block as it exits the loop if the normal force at the top of the loop was 80N?
Unless I'm missing something here, you have extra information. Assuming no friction losses, speed exiting the loop is the same as the speed entering the loop.

Update My mistake, a different problem, 80N at the top is ~8.16g's, different than the 4g's from the first problem.

Last edited:
hmm, even if i do v=(3gr)^(1/2), solving for r=10, it still does not match the answer. (i'm not sure if that is what you meant for me to do, however :| ) anyway, the given answer is 28 m/s.

for question #2, the answer is 39.5m/s.

thanks for you help; but more feedback would be awesome!

for #2, there is aditional information and no friction loss. so you are right, speed entering would equal speed exiting, but how do i calculate that speed? my way of doing it is not yielding the right answer.

Don't forget the speed at the bottom of the loop increases by the change in gravitational energy. In this case the block ends up 20 meters lower than at the top of the loop. However I'm not getting good answers either.

If the diameter is 10 meters (radius of 5 meters), and the track applies 4g's of force to the block (for a total of 5 g's downards on the block at the top), then I get 14 m/sec at the top, 14m/sec increase in velocity for a 10 meter decrease in altitude, so 28 m/sec at the bottom, which matches the given answer.

Solving for #2 also assuming a 5 meter radius, 80N at the top translates into ~8.16g's and a velocity of 20 m/sec. At the bottom of the loop, the 10 meter decrease in altitude results in a 14 meter increase in speed as before, so the answer should be 34m/sec (not 39.5).

The questions / answers are just plain wrong or worded very poorly.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Loop Problems in Roller Coaster Physics

What is the "Roller coaster problem"?

The "Roller coaster problem" is a classic physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on a roller coaster car as it moves along a track. It helps students understand concepts such as gravity, centripetal force, and potential and kinetic energy.

What are the main forces acting on a roller coaster car?

The main forces acting on a roller coaster car are gravity, normal force, friction, and air resistance. Gravity pulls the car down towards the ground, while the normal force keeps it on the track. Friction and air resistance can slow down the car's motion.

How do roller coasters stay on the track?

Roller coasters stay on the track because of the interplay between gravity and the normal force. As the car moves along the track, the normal force from the track constantly changes to keep the car on the track at all times. This is possible because of the shape and design of the track, which is carefully engineered to ensure the car's safety and stability.

What is the highest point in a roller coaster called?

The highest point in a roller coaster is called the "peak" or the "crest". This is usually the point where the roller coaster car has the most potential energy, as it is at its highest point and has the most gravitational potential energy stored.

How do roller coasters achieve their speed and momentum?

Roller coasters achieve their speed and momentum through the use of potential and kinetic energy. At the highest point of the track, the car has the most potential energy. As it moves down the track, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, giving the car its speed and momentum. The design of the track also plays a crucial role in maintaining the car's speed and momentum throughout the ride.