Understanding integration with trig identities, and absolute value

In summary, integration allows for identities such as sinx = \sqrt{1-cos^2x}. This substitution does not work in integration, and more correctly we should use the absolute value of \sin\left({x}\right). Schools often ignore the absolute value in integrals, and the substitution x = \frac{1}{u} leads to different results in arc lengths and other problems.
Dethrone

Homework Statement

In integration, we are allowed to use identities such as [itex]sinx = \sqrt{1-cos^2x}[/itex]. Why does that work, and why doesn't make a difference in integration? Graphing [itex]\sqrt{1-cos^2x}[/itex] is only equal to sinx on certain intervals such as[itex](0, \pi) [/itex]and [itex](2\pi, 3\pi)[/itex]. More correctly, shouldn't we use the absolute value of [itex]\sin\left({x}\right)[/itex]?

[itex]sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x[/itex]
[itex]|sinx| = \sqrt{1 = cos^2x}[/itex]
or defined piecewisely = {[itex]\sin\left({x}\right)[/itex] in regions where it is above the x-axis, and -[itex]\sin\left({x}\right)[/itex] in regions where x is below the x-axis.

Is it possible to even truly isolate "[itex]sin\left({x}\right)[/itex]" from
[itex]sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x[/itex]? It seems as the |[itex]sin\left({x}\right)[/itex]| is the closest we can to isolate it.

Sorry if I may seem confusing, but the concept of absolute value still confuses me.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide an example? All I feel like I can tell you right now is that you're right, sin(x) is not sqrt(1-cos^2(x)) and that you cannot make that claim in integration either, but I don't know the whole story.

Well, I was just thinking about this, nothing more. Actually, I don't think this pertains too much to integration, since no one in the right mind would use that substitution. But how would someone isolate sinx from cos^2x + sin^2x = 1, there seems to always be an absolute value in the way. And I really don't think schools teach absolute value well, or at all. I've been taught that the square root of something results in +/-, but it wouldn't make sense that sinx = +/- sqrt(1-cos^2x).

But in generally, in integration, I usually see the books ignoring the absolute value. For example, [itex]∫ x^5\sqrt{1-x^3} dx [/itex], you can make the substitution [itex] 1 - x^3 = z^2[/itex]. The square root of [itex]z^2[/itex] would be the absolute value of z, but they just use integrate z instead.

Also, in [itex]∫\frac{\sqrt{x-x^2}}{x^4} dx [/itex], if you use the substitution [itex]x = \frac{1}{u} [/itex], then you'll end up with [itex]-∫ \sqrt{\frac{1}{u^2}(u-1)}u^2 du [/itex], and the [itex]\frac{1}{u^2}[/itex] simply becomes [itex]\frac{1}{u} [/itex]. Also, when calculating arc lengths, such as [itex]y^3 = 8x^2[/itex] from 1 to 8, sqrt(x^(-2/3)) becomes x^(-1/3).

I apologize for the long message, I got addicted to use LaTeX.

Last edited:
Dethrone said:
Well, I was just thinking about this, nothing more. Actually, I don't think this pertains too much to integration, since no one in the right mind would use that substitution. But how would someone isolate sinx from cos^2x + sin^2x = 1, there seems to always be an absolute value in the way. And I really don't think schools teach absolute value well, or at all. I've been taught that the square root of something results in +/-, but it wouldn't make sense that sinx = +/- sqrt(1-cos^2x).

But in generally, in integration, I usually see the books ignoring the absolute value. For example, [itex]∫ x^5\sqrt{1-x^3} dx [/itex], you can make the substitution [itex] 1 - x^3 = z^2[/itex]. The square root of [itex]z^2[/itex] would be the absolute value of z, but they just use integrate z instead.

Also, in [itex]∫\frac{\sqrt{x-x^2}}{x^4} dx [/itex], if you use the substitution [itex]x = \frac{1}{u} [/itex], then you'll end up with [itex]-∫ \sqrt{\frac{1}{u^2}(u-1)}u^2 du [/itex], and the [itex]\frac{1}{u^2}[/itex] simply becomes [itex]\frac{1}{u} [/itex]. Also, when calculating arc lengths, such as [itex]y^3 = 8x^2[/itex] from 1 to 8, sqrt(x^(-2/3)) becomes x^(-1/3).

I apologize for the long message, I got addicted to use LaTeX.

Anyone have any insights as to why this is true?

Related to Understanding integration with trig identities, and absolute value

1. What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. What are trigonometric identities and how are they used in integration?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions and hold true for all values of the variables. They are used in integration to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and make the integration process easier.

3. How do I use trigonometric identities to integrate functions?

To use trigonometric identities in integration, you first need to identify the appropriate identity to use. Then, you can substitute the given expression with the corresponding identity and simplify the resulting expression. This will make the integration process easier and more straightforward.

4. What is the role of absolute value in integration?

Absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance between a number and zero on a number line. In integration, absolute value is used to handle cases where the function being integrated has both positive and negative values, ensuring that the resulting area is always positive.

5. Can I use trigonometric identities and absolute value in all integration problems?

Yes, you can use trigonometric identities and absolute value in most integration problems. However, there may be some cases where these concepts are not applicable or may not simplify the integration process. In such cases, other techniques such as substitution or integration by parts may be used.