Understanding Inner Product in Infinite Dimensional Bases

In summary, the author discusses how the usual definition of inner products from finite spaces can become the integral in infinite dimensional spaces. This is done because infinite spaces allow it. However, deeper integration theory is required to understand Hilbert spaces.
amjad-sh
While I'm reading a book in quantum mechanics, I reached the part "Generalization to infinite dimension".
We know that at infinite dimension many definitions changes.And that what is confusing me!
Take for example the inner product.when we are dealing in finite dimension the definition of inner product in orthonormal basis is shown below. If we deal with infinite dimensional basis the definition of inner product
becomes as shown below.
My Question is: why we can't use the first definition for infinite dimensional case?What is the magical trick that the first definition makes the inner product equals to infinity while the other makes it equal to a specific number due to the use of integration?Do I need to go deeper in integration theory to grasp this or the idea is simpler than that?
thanks
Capture.GIF
Capture1.GIF
Capture2.GIF

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is the division by n. I would expect that those f*g can all be of similar size (in particular, not go to zero quickly). Then your sum diverges, but the sum divided by n stays finite and you end up with an integral for the infinite case.

OK.
But why we go to the second definition? why in infinite dimension we use the second definition and not the first? what is the reason of inserting Δ in the equation?
I know that the inner product in the first definition diverges, but what permits us to change the first definition to the second definition?why in infinite dimension things change?

amjad-sh said:
But why we go to the second definition? why in infinite dimension we use the second definition and not the first? what is the reason of inserting Δ in the equation?I know that the inner product in the first definition diverges, but what permits us to change the first definition to the second definition?why in infinite dimension things change?

It's a hand-wavey thing to see how the usual definition of inner products from finite spaces can become the integral in infinite dimensional spaces.

Why? Its just the way infinite spaces are - they allow it. And yes deeper integration theory is required - you need Lebesque integration - not for the hand-wavey stuff - but to understand Hilbert spaces. Don't worry about it to start with though.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it you need to study Rigged Hilbert Spaces - but a rigorous treatment of that is quite advanced and not recommended for the beginner.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes mfb
bhobba said:
And yes deeper integration theory is required - you need Lebesque integration - not for the hand-wavey stuff - but to understand Hilbert spaces.
OK, i will read about this stuff.
bhobba said:
If you really want to get to the bottom of it you need to study Rigged Hilbert Spaces - but a rigorous treatment of that is quite advanced and not recommended for the beginner.
You mean to get deeper in the hand-wavey stuff or Hilbert space? If you know a way or book that helps me to understand the "hand-wavey stuff" you will be appreciated.
Thanks.:smile:

amjad-sh said:
.You mean to get deeper in the hand-wavey stuff or Hilbert space? If you know a way or book that helps me to understand the "hand-wavey stuff" you will be appreciated.

Yes - Chapter 2 - Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9814578584/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
OK.
Thank you.

Related to Understanding Inner Product in Infinite Dimensional Bases

1. What is a basis with infinite dimension?

A basis with infinite dimension refers to a set of vectors that span an infinite-dimensional vector space. This means that the set contains an infinite number of vectors that can be used to represent any vector in the space.

2. How is a basis with infinite dimension different from a finite basis?

A finite basis contains a limited number of vectors, while an infinite basis contains an infinite number of vectors. This means that a finite basis can only represent vectors in a finite-dimensional vector space, while an infinite basis can represent vectors in an infinite-dimensional vector space.

3. Can a basis with infinite dimension exist in the real world?

Yes, a basis with infinite dimension can exist in the real world. For example, the set of all polynomials with real coefficients forms an infinite-dimensional vector space, and a basis for this space would contain an infinite number of polynomials.

4. How is a basis with infinite dimension useful in mathematics and science?

A basis with infinite dimension is useful in mathematics and science because it allows for the representation of a wide range of functions and phenomena that cannot be represented using a finite basis. This makes it a powerful tool for solving complex problems and analyzing abstract concepts.

5. Can a basis with infinite dimension be used in practical applications?

Yes, a basis with infinite dimension can be used in practical applications such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression. In these fields, an infinite basis can be used to represent signals and data in a more efficient and accurate manner than a finite basis.