Understanding Half Range Sine Series: A_0 Value and Theoretical Expectations

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a_0 for a half range sine series. The person asking the question is not convinced that a_0 should be equal to 0, but the expert explains that for the half range sine series, a_0 represents the odd extension of the function, while the calculation is for the even extension. The expert also clarifies that the half range formulas are shortcuts for the full range series and that for the half range sine series, only the b_n terms will be non-zero.
foo9008

Homework Statement

f(x) = x , 0 <x<1/2
1/2 , 1/2 < x <1
in this question , I am not convinced that a_ 0 = 0 for half range sine series , because i found that
I5muGdJ.jpg

but , thoerically , for half rang sine series , a_ 0 must be = 0 , ,am i right ? why the value of A- 0 that i got is not = 0 ? what's wrong with my working ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation of ##a_0## is for the half range cosine series. It represents the even extension of your function. The half range sine series represents the odd extension of your function. They aren't the same thing.

LCKurtz said:
Your calculation of ##a_0## is for the half range cosine series. It represents the even extension of your function. The half range sine series represents the odd extension of your function. They aren't the same thing.
sorry , can you explain further ? i did http://i.imgur.com/I5muGdJ.jpg
because i want to show that for half rang sine series , a_0 = 0 , however , i get the value of a_ 0 not equal to 0 ... what's wrong with my working ?

There is nothing wrong with your calculations. They are FS of different functions. If we call the even extension of your ##f(x)## by ##f_{even}(x)##, its equation on ##(-1,1)## is$$
f_{even}(x) = \left \{ \begin{array}{r,l}
\frac 1 2,&-1<x<-\frac 1 2\\
-x, & -\frac 1 2 < x < 0\\
x, & 0 < x < \frac 1 2 \\
\frac 1 2, &\frac 1 2 < x < 1
\end{array}\right .$$
Similarly, the odd extension ##f_{odd}(x)## is given by$$
f_{odd}(x) = \left \{ \begin{array}{r,l}
-\frac 1 2,&-1<x<-\frac 1 2\\
x, & -\frac 1 2 < x < \frac 1 2\\
\end{array}\right .$$These are both defined on ##(-1,1)## and of period ##2##. If you do the full range FS of ##f_{even}## you will find out that ##b_n=0## and you get only ##a_n## nonzero terms, and ##a_0## is what you have calculated. That's what the half range cosine series is.

If you expand ##f_{odd}## as a full range FS you will find all ##a_n = 0## and only ##b_n##'s are non-zero.

The half range formulas are just shortcuts for these two series taking advantage of the even and oddness. They are two different functions. But note they both represent the same thing on ##(0,1)##.

Likes foo9008
LCKurtz said:
There is nothing wrong with your calculations. They are FS of different functions. If we call the even extension of your ##f(x)## by ##f_{even}(x)##, its equation on ##(-1,1)## is$$
f_{even}(x) = \left \{ \begin{array}{r,l}
\frac 1 2,&-1<x<-\frac 1 2\\
-x, & -\frac 1 2 < x < 0\\
x, & 0 < x < \frac 1 2 \\
\end{array}\right .$$
Similarly, the odd extension ##f_{odd}(x)## is given by$$
f_{odd}(x) = \left \{ \begin{array}{r,l}
-\frac 1 2,&-1<x<-\frac 1 2\\
x, & -\frac 1 2 < x < \frac 1 2\\
\end{array}\right .$$These are both defined on ##(-1,1)## and of period ##2##. If you do the full range FS of ##f_{even}## you will find out that ##b_n=0## and you get only ##a_n## nonzero terms, and ##a_0## is what you have calculated. That's what the half range cosine series is.

If you expand ##f_{odd}## as a full range FS you will find all ##a_n = 0## and only ##b_n##'s are non-zero.

The half range formulas are just shortcuts for these two series taking advantage of the even and oddness. They are two different functions. But note they both represent the same thing on ##(0,1)##.
do you mean to get a_ 0 = 0 , we have to do the full range sine series ... so , we just need to follow the book stated that for half range sine series , a_ 0 = 0 ?
we wouldn't get a_ 0 = 0 if we do half range sine series only ?

foo9008 said:
do you mean to get a_ 0 = 0 , we have to do the full range sine series ... so , we just need to follow the book stated that for half range sine series , a_ 0 = 0 ?

You just need to understand that when you do a half range sine expansion of ##f(x)##, you are really doing the full range expansion of ##f_{odd}(x)##. But ##f_{odd}(x)## is an odd function, so its FS will have only nonzero ##b_n## and you don't have to calculate the ##a_n##. The advantage of using the half range formula for ##b_n## is that the integral only involves ##f(x)## so you don't have to figure out the full formula for ##f_{odd}(x)##.

Likes foo9008

Related to Understanding Half Range Sine Series: A_0 Value and Theoretical Expectations

1. What is a half range sine series?

A half range sine series is a mathematical representation of a function using only sine terms and with a limited range of values. This means that the series only includes odd multiples of the sine function and is only valid for a specific interval, typically from 0 to π.

2. How do you find the coefficients of a half range sine series?

The coefficients of a half range sine series can be found using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the function over the given interval and then solving for the coefficients using trigonometric identities.

3. What is the significance of a half range sine series?

A half range sine series is significant because it allows for the approximation of a wide variety of functions using a simpler and more manageable series. This technique is commonly used in signal processing and other areas of science and engineering.

4. Can a half range sine series represent any function?

No, a half range sine series can only represent functions that have a period equal to the given interval and can be accurately approximated using sine terms. Functions with discontinuities or sharp corners may not be accurately represented by a half range sine series.

5. How can a half range sine series be used in practical applications?

Half range sine series can be used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the analysis and synthesis of periodic signals, filtering and noise reduction in signal processing, and approximating complex functions in mathematical modeling and simulation. They are also used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations and study the behavior of physical systems.