Understanding GPE to KE Conversion on a Ramp | Simplified Physics Explanation

• Thread starter TerryB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpe Ramp
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between GPE (gravitational potential energy) and KE (kinetic energy) in the context of a ball rolling down a ramp. The equation mgh=(1/2)mv^2 is used to describe this relationship, and it is noted that the change in height should be proportional to the velocity squared. However, the graph plotted shows a straight line instead of a curve, possibly due to a shallow curve that is difficult to see on the graph. There is also a mention of using a power function if working with a spreadsheet.
TerryB
Ok now my problem is this- Ignoring resistances (I'm factoring these in later), if a ball rolls down a ramp the initial GPE energy goes to KE.

So the equation would be mgh=(1/2)mv*2 so mass cancels out leaving gh=(1/2)v*2
multiply by two gives 2gh=v*2.

So I have plotted a graph of change in height by Velocity and resulted in a straight line graph. I'd have thought this was wrong as by the equation above the change in height is proportional to velocity squared so should it not be a curve?

There's probably something completely stupid I'm doing but I've been doing Physics for 6 days straight so my mind's gone blank.

Any help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what language you used, but usually v*2 means v times 2, multiply, not exponentiate. If you're using a spreadsheet, it should have some type of power() function.

Oops my bad! As I said I'm tired :p I meant to say v^2

And I've done it by hand but its still a straight line. I have a feeling its because the curve is rather shallow so it is hard to see it on my graph.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding GPE to KE Conversion on a Ramp | Simplified Physics Explanation

1. What is GPE and KE?

GPE stands for Gravitational Potential Energy and refers to the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. KE stands for Kinetic Energy and refers to the energy an object has due to its motion.

2. How is GPE converted to KE on a ramp?

On a ramp, the object gains KE as it moves down the ramp due to the force of gravity. As the object moves down, it loses height and therefore loses GPE, which is converted into KE.

3. What is the equation for GPE and KE on a ramp?

The equation for GPE is mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. The equation for KE is 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity of the object.

4. How does the height of the ramp affect the GPE to KE conversion?

The higher the ramp, the more potential energy the object has at the top. As the object moves down the ramp, it gains speed and therefore more kinetic energy. A higher ramp will result in a greater conversion of GPE to KE.

5. Can GPE be converted to KE on a flat surface?

No, on a flat surface, the object does not have any potential energy due to its position. Therefore, there is no GPE to be converted into KE. The object would need to have a change in height or position in order for GPE to be converted into KE.