Understanding Fourier Series Convergence: Common Confusions Addressed

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of a series to dictate a graph and the confusion around multiplying values by -2/pi and the presence of terms in brackets. It is explained that the function is not defined at certain points and the use of left and right limits to calculate the average value. The expression [(-2pi + 0) + f(-2pi - 0)] represents the shorthand notation for these limits.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-06-15at45935AM.png

This series is what dictates the graph above.

Screenshot2012-06-15at50422AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what's going on. If they're using the series that i pasted below then why aren't they multiply each value in the brackets by -2/pi?

I also don't get why terms in the brackets are

[(-2pi + 0) + f(-2pi - 0)]

Where did they come from? Where does 1/2 come from that multiplies the brackets. very confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
robertjford80 said:
I don't understand what's going on. If they're using the series that i pasted below then why aren't they multiply each value in the brackets by -2/pi?

They could have. The ##\frac {-2}\pi## was just factored out.
I also don't get why terms in the brackets are

[(-2pi + 0) + f(-2pi - 0)]

Where did they come from? Where does 1/2 come from that multiplies the brackets. very confused.

Your function isn't defined at the jumps, like at ##-2\pi##. To get the average value at the jumps you need the average of the right and left limits:$$
\lim_{h\rightarrow 0+}\frac{f(-2\pi + h)+f(-2\pi -h)}{2}$$Those limits give the value of the function at ##-2\pi\ ##"coming from" the left and right. The expression ##f(-2\pi + 0)+ f(-2\pi -0)##is just a shorthand notation for the limits, and you add them and divide by 2 to get the average.

Related to Understanding Fourier Series Convergence: Common Confusions Addressed

What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is named after the French mathematician Joseph Fourier and is commonly used in signal processing, image analysis, and other fields.

What is the convergence of a Fourier series?

The convergence of a Fourier series refers to the property that as the number of terms in the series increases, the sum of these terms approaches the original function. It is important to understand the convergence of a Fourier series in order to use it effectively in practical applications.

What are the conditions for the convergence of a Fourier series?

The conditions for the convergence of a Fourier series are known as the Dirichlet conditions. These include the periodicity of the function, the function being single-valued and continuous, and the function having a finite number of maxima and minima within one period.

What is the difference between point-wise and uniform convergence of a Fourier series?

Point-wise convergence refers to the convergence of the series at each point in the domain of the function, while uniform convergence refers to the convergence of the series over the entire domain. Uniform convergence is a stronger condition and ensures that the error between the Fourier series and the original function is small everywhere in the domain, not just at individual points.

How can you test for the convergence of a Fourier series?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence of a Fourier series, including the Dirichlet test, the Abel test, and the Weierstrass M-test. These tests involve checking the properties of the function and the coefficients of the series to determine if the series converges or not.