Understanding Fixed Magnification: Exploring the Role of Single Lenses

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a single lens, specifically a biconvex lens, can have a fixed magnification. The answer is no, as magnification is determined by both focal length and object distance. However, there are examples of simple lenses with a given magnification number, which can refer to either linear or angular magnification. The difference between the two is explained in most optics books.
ricardo7890
My question is simple but i can't seem to find a straight answer. Can a single lens, a biconvex lens let's say, have a fixed magnification.I know that magnification is a factor of focal length, and object distance so the answer should be no. However, i often come across examples of simple lenses that are given some magnification number like X6 ; I've seen this in both optics books, and magnifying glasses.Magnification is Distance of image/Distance of object, and Distance of image=1/((1/F)-(1/Object)), so if the distance of an object is a factor of magnification how can a lens have a fixed magnification which doesn't take into account the distance of the object of interest.

Science news on Phys.org
ricardo7890 said:
Can a single lens, a biconvex lens let's say, have a fixed magnification.I know that magnification is a factor of focal length, and object distance so the answer should be no.

This refers to linear magnification.

However, i often come across examples of simple lenses that are given some magnification number like X6

This refers to angular magnification.

Your optics book(s) should discuss the difference between the two. Actually, the angular magnification can also vary, strictly speaking, but there is a common formula for a "standard" angular magnification which is what the 6 in 6X refers to.

Related to Understanding Fixed Magnification: Exploring the Role of Single Lenses

What is simple magnification?

Simple magnification is the process of making an object appear larger than its actual size by using a magnifying glass or lens. It is a basic form of magnification that does not involve any complex equipment or calculations.

How does simple magnification work?

Simple magnification works by using a convex lens to bend light rays and focus them on a single point, creating a magnified image of the object. The lens acts as a type of "magnifier" by enlarging the angle at which light enters the eye, making the object appear larger.

What is the difference between simple magnification and compound magnification?

Simple magnification uses only one lens to magnify an object, while compound magnification uses multiple lenses in a series to achieve a greater level of magnification. Compound magnification is often used in microscopes and telescopes to view objects at a much larger scale.

What is the formula for calculating simple magnification?

The formula for simple magnification is M = v/u, where M is the magnification, v is the image distance, and u is the object distance. This formula is used to determine the magnification level of a lens or magnifying glass.

What are some practical applications of simple magnification?

Simple magnification has many practical applications, such as in reading glasses, magnifying glasses for low vision, and in cameras and binoculars. It is also commonly used in science experiments and in everyday tasks that require a closer look at small objects.