Understanding Electromagnetic/X-Ray Pulse in Time and Frequency Domain

In summary, electromagnetic or x-ray pulses with fixed energy and finite line width will have a schematic plot that appears as a vertical line in the time domain and a horizontal line in the frequency domain. The line width mentioned is equivalent to the width of the spectrum in the frequency domain. In realistic cases, such as a pulse with a gaussian shape, the frequency spectrum will also have a gaussian shape. The sharper the pulse, the wider the frequency spectrum. The physical meaning of a delta function in the frequency domain is that all frequencies are present in an infinitely high and infinitely narrow spike. This can be seen as a limiting case of a rectangular or gaussian pulse with decreasing width.
Rajini
Dear All,
Suppose we have a electromagnetic/x-ray pulse with fixed energy with finite line width. I want to know the schematic of a plot how it looks in time- and frequency-domain?
I think I understand in time domain: there will a straight vertical line on plotting intensity vs time in x-axis.
Regards, raj.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rajini said:
Dear All,
Suppose we have a electromagnetic/x-ray pulse with fixed energy with finite line width. I want to know the schematic of a plot how it looks in time- and frequency-domain?
the line width you mention IS the width of the spectrum in the frequency domain.
I think I understand in time domain: there will a straight vertical line on plotting intensity vs time in x-axis.
Regards, raj.
In that case you have a delta function; the frequency spectrum for that is a constant for all frequencies.

You have to compromise for realistic cases; the easiest is a pulse with a gaussian shape: the frequency spectrum is also a gaussian. The sharper the pulse, the wider the frequency spectrum.
Check out some fourier transforms

Hello,
So if there is a vertical line in the time domain then it will be a horizontal line in the frequency domain. If yes, please give me the physical meaning!
Thanks, raj.

The physical meaning is that all frequencies are present in an infinitely high and infinitely narrow spike ...

If that isn't very satisfactory: check out the link I gave you:
  • The ##\delta(t)## is second from last on page 1.
  • You can see it as a limiting case of a rectangular pulse (#4 on page 2) with ##\tau\downarrow 0##
  • Or as a limiting case of a gaussian pulse (#3 on page 3) with ##\sigma\downarrow 0##
  • etc

Likes Rajini

Related to Understanding Electromagnetic/X-Ray Pulse in Time and Frequency Domain

1. What is the difference between time and frequency domain in electromagnetic/x-ray pulse?

The time domain refers to the analysis of a signal in terms of its amplitude and time, while the frequency domain refers to the analysis of a signal in terms of its frequency and amplitude. In terms of electromagnetic/x-ray pulse, this means that in the time domain, the pulse is analyzed in terms of its intensity and duration, while in the frequency domain, it is analyzed in terms of its frequency components and their amplitudes.

2. How are time and frequency domain related in electromagnetic/x-ray pulse analysis?

The time and frequency domains are mathematically related through the Fourier transform. This transform allows us to convert a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain and vice versa. In the case of electromagnetic/x-ray pulse analysis, this means that we can analyze the same pulse in both the time and frequency domains to gain a more complete understanding of its characteristics.

3. What information can be obtained from analyzing electromagnetic/x-ray pulse in the time domain?

In the time domain, we can obtain information about the intensity, duration, and shape of the pulse. This can give us insights into the source of the pulse, such as the type of particle or material emitting it, and the physical processes involved in its generation.

4. How does analyzing electromagnetic/x-ray pulse in the frequency domain provide additional insights?

In the frequency domain, we can obtain information about the frequency components present in the pulse and their relative amplitudes. This can give us insights into the energy levels and transitions of the emitting particles or materials, as well as the properties of the medium through which the pulse traveled.

5. What are some applications of understanding electromagnetic/x-ray pulse in both time and frequency domain?

Understanding electromagnetic/x-ray pulse in both time and frequency domain has many practical applications in fields such as imaging, communication, and materials analysis. For example, analyzing pulses in the time domain can help us improve the resolution and contrast in medical imaging techniques, while analyzing them in the frequency domain can aid in the development of new communication technologies and the characterization of materials for various applications.