Understanding Electromagnetic Duality: From B_i to E_i Using Tensor Notation

In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to show the relationship between B_i and E_i using tensor notation and duality. The speaker has attempted to derive this relationship starting from the dual of F_ij, but is now trying to get it directly from B_i. However, their calculations have resulted in a different value than what is expected, and they are seeking advice on where they may have gone wrong.
gentsagree
So, I'm trying to show that by duality [itex]B_{i}\rightarrow E_{i}[/itex], using tensor notation. I've done it in a different way, and it works (starting from [itex]\overline{F}_{ij}[/itex], the dual of F_ij), but I would like to get it from B_i directly. Where am I going wrong?

This is what I did:

[tex]B_{i}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{ijk}F^{jk}\rightarrow B'_{i}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{ijk}(i\overline{F}^{jk})=\frac{1}{2}i\epsilon_{ijk}(-\frac{1}{2}i\epsilon^{jk\rho\sigma}F_{\rho\sigma})[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{4}\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon^{jk\rho\sigma}F_{\rho\sigma}=\frac{1}{4}\epsilon_{0ijk}\epsilon^{jk0i}F_{0i}[/tex]

where in the last line I have inserted an extra 0-index in the Levi-Civita symbol (although I am not sure I know how to deal with zeros with epsilon), and made the substitution [itex](\rho,\sigma)\rightarrow(0,i)[/itex].

However I calculate this to be [itex]-\frac{3}{2}F_{i0}[/itex] when it should be just [itex]F_{i0}=E_{i}[/itex]

Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your first equation for B'. B_i in the dual F is the 0i row, not what you write.

Related to Understanding Electromagnetic Duality: From B_i to E_i Using Tensor Notation

1. What is electromagnetic duality?

Electromagnetic duality is the concept that describes the equivalence of electric and magnetic fields. It states that the equations governing the behavior of these fields are symmetric, meaning they can be interchanged without changing the physics of the system.

2. How is tensor notation used in understanding electromagnetic duality?

Tensor notation is a mathematical language that uses tensors to represent physical quantities, such as electric and magnetic fields. It allows for a more compact and elegant way of writing equations and expressing the symmetry of electromagnetic duality.

3. Can you explain the role of B_i and E_i in electromagnetic duality?

B_i and E_i refer to the magnetic and electric fields, respectively. In electromagnetic duality, these fields are considered to be dual to each other, meaning they can be transformed into one another through a mathematical operation known as duality transformation.

4. How does understanding electromagnetic duality benefit scientific research?

Understanding electromagnetic duality allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles governing electromagnetism. It also helps in developing new theoretical models and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic fields in various situations, which can have practical applications in technology and engineering.

5. Are there any real-world examples of electromagnetic duality?

Yes, there are several real-world examples of electromagnetic duality, such as the duality between electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic waves, the duality of electric and magnetic charges, and the duality between electric and magnetic fields in certain materials, known as magnetic materials and electric materials.