Understanding Electric Flux and Field Lines in a Uniform Electric Field

In summary, the question asks for the electric flux through a circle of radius 12 cm when a uniform electric field of magnitude 6.5 N/C passes through it perpendicularly. The question also raises the issue of understanding electric fields and field lines, and suggests looking up the definition of flux for guidance.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

A uniform electric field of magnitude 6.5 [itex]\frac{N}{C}[/itex] passes through a circle of radius 12 cm. What is the electric flux through the circle when its face is perpendicular to the field lines.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only problem with this question is picturing the field lines. I initially thought that "perpendicular" meant 90°.

I tried to apply that angle to the flux formula, but I need to picture this surface? I'd appreciate an explanation of the EF and field lines. Or if there is a website that I can check that explains and shows how electric fields and field lines are shown.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aaronfue said:

Homework Statement

A uniform electric field of magnitude 6.5 [itex]\frac{N}{C}[/itex] passes through a circle of radius 12 cm. What is the electric flux through the circle when its face is perpendicular to the field lines.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only problem with this question is picturing the field lines. I initially thought that "perpendicular" meant 90°.

I tried to apply that angle to the flux formula, but I need to picture this surface? I'd appreciate an explanation of the EF and field lines. Or if there is a website that I can check that explains and shows how electric fields and field lines are shown.

The surface is a disk. And yes, perpendicular means 90 degrees. The E field is normal to the surface. What's the definition of 'flux'? You should be able to look that up. There aren't very many easier flux questions around.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Electric Flux and Field Lines in a Uniform Electric Field

1. What are electric field lines?

Electric field lines are a graphical representation of the electric field around a charged object. They show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points in space.

2. How are electric field lines drawn?

Electric field lines are drawn by placing a test charge at different points around a charged object and then tracing the path of the force that the test charge experiences. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field is at that point.

3. What is the significance of the direction of electric field lines?

The direction of electric field lines represents the direction that a positive test charge would move in the presence of the electric field. They always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

4. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given area. It is calculated by multiplying the strength of the electric field by the area that it passes through, and is measured in units of volts per meter squared (V/m2).

5. How is electric flux related to electric field lines?

Electric flux is directly related to the number of electric field lines passing through a given area. The more field lines that pass through an area, the greater the electric flux will be. Electric flux is a useful concept in understanding the strength and behavior of electric fields.