Understanding Divisibility: Exploring Naoki Sato's Number Theory Notes

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof in number theory where it is proved that 2x+3y is divisible by 17 if and only if 9x+5y is divisible by 17. The use of congruences is initially mentioned but then it is shown that the proof can also be done without them. The conversation ends with gratitude for the explanation given.
futb0l
I am reading Naoki Sato's notes on Number Theory:
http://donut.math.toronto.edu/~naoki/nt.pdf

I am on page 2, and doing Example 1.1...

"Let x and y be integers. Prove that 2x+3y is divisible by 17 iff 9x+5y is divisible by 17."

There's ALREADY A SOLUTION on the book, but I do not understand it. I've read the theorems and also the other examples and found that I can understand them. I guess this one is different.

Can somebody please explain it to me clearer...??

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you know some basic things about congruences... If 2x + 3y is divisible by 17, then 2x + 3y == 0 (mod 17). Multiply both sides by 13 to get

13(2x + 3y) == 13(0) (mod 17)
<=>
26x + 39y == 0 (mod 17) ... (1)

But 26 == 9 (mod 17) and 39 == 5 (mod 17), så equation (1) is equivalent to

9x + 5y == 0 (mod 17).

Thus 9x + 5y is divisible by 17.

The other implication, that if 9x + 5y is divisible by 17 then 2x + 3y is divisible by 17, can be proved in a similar fashion.

*edit* After inspection of the PDF, I see that it doesn't use congruences at all. Right, if 2x + 3y is divisible by 17, there is an integer k such that (2x + 3y)/17 = k <=> 2x + 3y = 17k. Multiply both sides by 13 and do some algebra magic (trying to be as clear as possible):

13(2x + 3y) = 13 * 17k
<=>
26x + 39y = 13 * 17k
<=>
9x + 5y + (17x + 34y) = 13 * 17k
<=> (moving over the thing in the parantheses to the right-hand side and factoring out 17
9x + 5y = 13 * 17k - (17x + 34y) = 13 * 17k - 17(x + 2y) = 17(13k - (x + 2y))

Thus 9x + 5y is divisible by 17.

Last edited:
oh, great thanks..
you cleared it up beautifully...

i love this forum ;)

Related to Understanding Divisibility: Exploring Naoki Sato's Number Theory Notes

What is divisibility?

Divisibility is the mathematical concept of one number being evenly divisible by another number without leaving a remainder. In other words, if a number can be divided by another number without any remainder, it is said to be divisible by that number.

How do I determine if a number is divisible by another number?

To determine if a number is divisible by another number, you can use the division algorithm or perform long division. Alternatively, you can look for patterns and rules, such as checking for divisibility by 2, 3, 5, or 10, which are commonly used in everyday life.

What are the different types of divisibility tests?

Some common types of divisibility tests include the divisibility rules for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10. These rules provide a quick way to determine if a number is divisible by these numbers. There are also more advanced tests, such as the divisibility test for 7 and the rule for finding the number of factors of a given number.

How is divisibility related to prime numbers?

A prime number is a number that is divisible only by 1 and itself. This means that if a number is divisible by any other number, it is not a prime number. Divisibility plays a significant role in determining if a number is prime or not.

Why is understanding divisibility important in mathematics?

Divisibility is a fundamental concept in mathematics that is used in many different areas, such as number theory, algebra, and geometry. It allows us to simplify calculations and solve problems more efficiently. Understanding divisibility also helps us identify patterns and relationships between numbers, leading to further discoveries and advancements in mathematics.