Understanding Diffusion: The Relationship Between RMS and Fick's 2nd Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between diffusion and the RMS formula, as well as Fick's 2nd Law. The formula states that the mean square distance traveled by a concentrated spot of material is proportional to time. There is a question about the formula's application and a confusion about the lack of dependence on concentration in the RMS formula. From Fick's 2nd Law, it is understood that a higher concentration gradient leads to a faster diffusion process.
Lindsayyyy
Hello everyone,

I have a question concerning the following:

There is a relationship for diffusion concerning the RMS:

[tex] <x^2>= 2\cdot D \cdot T [/tex] for one dimension and there is also Fick's 2nd Law.

When does the above formula apply?

What I don't understand is that in the RMS formula there is no dependancy on concentration. But if I understood it correctly from Fick's 2nd law the higher the concentration gradient, the higher my change of concentration, which would mean the diffusion process takes place faster.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Best regards Lindsayyyy

Physics news on Phys.org
Need some context. Where does your equation arise?

I'm guessing that your ##<x^2>## means something like ## < x^2 \phi(x)> / <\phi(x)>## so that the concentration divides out. Basically what it is telling you is, a concentrated spot of material will spread out such that the mean square distance it has traveled is proportional to time.

Related to Understanding Diffusion: The Relationship Between RMS and Fick's 2nd Law

1. What is diffusion RMS?

Diffusion RMS (Root Mean Square) is a measure of the average distance a molecule or particle will travel through a medium due to diffusion. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the particles, making it a more accurate measure than simply looking at the average distance traveled.

2. How is diffusion RMS calculated?

Diffusion RMS is calculated by taking the square root of the mean square displacement of the particles in a given time interval. This means taking the average distance each particle has traveled, squaring it, and then taking the square root of that value.

3. What is Fick's Law of diffusion?

Fick's Law of diffusion states that the rate of diffusion is directly proportional to the concentration gradient and the diffusion coefficient, and inversely proportional to the distance over which diffusion occurs. In other words, the greater the concentration gradient and diffusion coefficient, and the shorter the distance, the faster diffusion will occur.

4. How is Fick's Law used in scientific research?

Fick's Law is often used in scientific research to study and understand the movement of particles and molecules through different mediums. It can also be used to calculate diffusion coefficients and predict the rate of diffusion in various systems.

5. What factors can affect diffusion RMS and Fick's Law?

Several factors can affect diffusion RMS and Fick's Law, including temperature, pressure, molecular weight, and the properties of the medium through which diffusion is occurring. For example, higher temperatures and pressures can increase the rate of diffusion, while heavier molecules may diffuse more slowly. Changes in the medium's properties, such as viscosity, can also impact diffusion rates.