Understanding Current & Voltage in Circuits A & B w/ Diode and Battery

In summary, the conversation discusses two circuit diagrams and questions about the relationship between current and voltage, as well as the operation of diodes. The expert explains that the first circuit is too difficult to give a result for due to the lack of information about the internal resistance of the batteries. In the second circuit, the diode stops any current from flowing into the 3 volt battery, but the current taken from the 6 volt battery exceeds its rating. The expert also discusses a third circuit with different resistors and explains the resulting current and voltage. The conversation also touches on the concept of power and how it relates to battery behavior.
KuriousKid
So I'm trying to understand the relationship between current & voltage as well as the basic electricity laws and Diode operation. Attached are 2 circuit diagrams for reference. Assume that Diodes can withstand against whatever voltage/current the circuit generates.

Can Anyone explain me what will happen in each circuit A & B?

Circuit A : What would be the value of Current and voltage across the load of 1 ohm?
Circuit B : What would be the value of Current and voltage across the load of 1 ohm?

Attachments

• DiodeBattery.JPG
    DiodeBattery.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 436
Engineering news on Phys.org
The first circuit is too difficult to give a result for. When you put different voltage batteries in parallel, the larger voltage one will try to charge the other. So, don't do that.

The second one is also too difficult.
The current in the 1 ohm resistor would be about 5 amps (6 volts minus 1 volt for the diode divided by 1 ohm) but this would exceed the rating of the 6 volt battery.

In each case, you need to know the internal resistance of the batteries to work out what would really happen.

Just to get some sort of an answer, I assumed all the batteries had an internal resistance of 0.2 ohms.
This assumes the diodes have a drop of 1 volt at this current:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/currents.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under impression that if V*I = same for both sides it will behave as symmetrical circuit and will add up current in 1 ohm resistor.

Here I don't understand why we can't get current addition in 1 ohm resistor per Ohm's/Kirchoff's laws?

What arrangement should be made in the circuit so we can get the sum of currents in 1 ohm resistor and approximately 5 volt across it, so that we can get approximately VI + VI = 2 VI kind of thing?

I don't want to go for series connection of batteries.

The current figures next to each battery are some sort of maximum current rating. That current will only flow if the load is correct for the voltage. That is the only way you can "tell" a battery how much current to deliver.

The problem is that you have two batteries in parallel with no resistance in the circuit between them. (This only refers to the outer loop.)

There is a net voltage of 3 volts (ie 6 minus 3) but zero resistance so the current will be infinite unless we know something about the internal resistance of the batteries.

There may be some current in the 1 ohm resistor, but until we know what the internal resistances of the batteries are, we can't calculate the current.

In the second circuit, the diode stops any current flowing into the 3 volt battery, but the current taken from the 6 volt battery is about 5 amps which exceeds the current rating of the 6 volt battery.

Thank you for your reply.
Now considering your circuit diagram if R2 & R3 = 6 Ohm and R1 = 10 Ohm. What would be the current flowing through R1 and voltage across it?

vk6kro said:
The first circuit is too difficult to give a result for. When you put different voltage batteries in parallel, the larger voltage one will try to charge the other. So, don't do that.

The second one is also too difficult.
The current in the 1 ohm resistor would be about 5 amps (6 volts minus 1 volt for the diode divided by 1 ohm) but this would exceed the rating of the 6 volt battery.

In each case, you need to know the internal resistance of the batteries to work out what would really happen.

Just to get some sort of an answer, I assumed all the batteries had an internal resistance of 0.2 ohms.
This assumes the diodes have a drop of 1 volt at this current:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/currents.PNG[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you mean the circuit without the diodes.

The current from the 6 volt battery is 423.077 mA.

This splits into two currents.

346.154 mA goes into the 10 ohm resistor and 76.923 mA goes into the 3 volt battery via the 6 ohm resistor.

The voltage across the 10 ohm resistor is 3.46 volts.

No, I mean to say the Circuit with Diodes in place. Won't the current from both batteries will flow into 10 Ohm resistor [addition of current?] and then again split exactly same way as it merged and flow back into Batteries?

vk6kro said:
I guess you mean the circuit without the diodes.

The current from the 6 volt battery is 423.077 mA.

This splits into two currents.

346.154 mA goes into the 10 ohm resistor and 76.923 mA goes into the 3 volt battery via the 6 ohm resistor.

The voltage across the 10 ohm resistor is 3.46 volts.

Assume 1 volt drop across the diode in the left loop.

The current will be (6 volts minus 1 volt) divided by (6 ohms plus 10 ohms). so, 5 / 16 or 0.312 amps.

The voltage across the 10 ohms resistor is then 0.312 amps times 10 ohms or 3.12 volts. (V = I * R)

So, the diode on the right is reverse biased and cannot conduct any current.

That's what confuses me. I thought if both sources have same power (P=V*I=6x3=3x6=18) they might be considered as identical sources. Doesn't it work based on Power?

vk6kro said:
Assume 1 volt drop across the diode in the left loop.

The current will be (6 volts minus 1 volt) divided by (6 ohms plus 10 ohms). so, 5 / 16 or 0.312 amps.

The voltage across the 10 ohms resistor is then 0.312 amps times 10 ohms or 3.12 volts. (V = I * R)

So, the diode on the right is reverse biased and cannot conduct any current.

KuriousKid said:
That's what confuses me. I thought if both sources have same power (P=V*I=6x3=3x6=18) they might be considered as identical sources. Doesn't it work based on Power?

No, it doesn't work that way. The battery produces a voltage, but it can't control the current. The current is a result of what load you put on the battery.

Batteries have effectively got an internal resistance which you can use to find out how the battery will behave under load.

This internal resistance is effectively in series with the battery, so that even if you short circuit the battery the current will not be infinite.

With an alkaline AA cell, for example, if you short circuit it, the current will be about 8 amps, so you can work out that this battery has an internal resistance of 0.1875 ohms.

It is because the internal resistance has 1.5 volts across it and 8 amps flowing in it so it must have a resistance of 1.5 volts / 8 amps or 0.1875 ohms. This is Ohm's Law.

This is pretty good, but you can see why a bunch of AA cells probably couldn't start a car. They might be able to supply 12 volts, but their internal resistance is too high to produce the 100 amps or more it takes to turn the starter motor in a car.

I see. from your answer got another question. What does AC generator produces? Current or Voltage?

vk6kro said:
No, it doesn't work that way. The battery produces a voltage, but it can't control the current. The current is a result of what load you put on the battery.

KuriousKid said:
I see. from your answer got another question. What does AC generator produces? Current or Voltage?

It produces both, but the current doesn't flow unless there is a path for it to flow in.

So, as you might expect, if you have wires coming out of the generator and they are not connected to anything, there is no current flowing.

There would be an AC voltage on the wires and you could measure this (in volts) with a suitable meter.

If you did connect a resistor across the output wires, there would be an AC current flowing.

Related to Understanding Current & Voltage in Circuits A & B w/ Diode and Battery

1. What is the difference between current and voltage in a circuit?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge through a circuit, while voltage is the force that drives this flow. In other words, current is the amount of charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit time, while voltage is the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

2. How are current and voltage related in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, current and voltage are directly proportional. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, and vice versa. However, this relationship may be affected by other factors such as resistance and the presence of components like diodes or batteries.

3. What is the role of a diode in a circuit?

A diode is a semiconductor component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It acts as a one-way valve for electric current, preventing it from flowing in the opposite direction. This is important in circuits because it allows for the control and direction of the flow of electricity.

4. How does a battery affect the current and voltage in a circuit?

Batteries are a source of electrical energy and can be considered as a voltage source in a circuit. They provide a constant potential difference, or voltage, which drives the flow of current. The amount of current that a battery can supply is determined by its voltage and the resistance in the circuit.

5. What is the importance of understanding current and voltage in circuits?

Understanding current and voltage in circuits is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electronic systems. It allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of a circuit, and make necessary adjustments to ensure the proper functioning of devices. Additionally, understanding these concepts is essential for the safe handling and use of electrical equipment.