Understanding Complex Geometric Sequences: A Revision Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of geometric sequences and specifically focuses on finding the value of a sequence using a given formula. The conversation also highlights the importance of understanding the rules and formulas related to geometric sequences in order to solve similar problems.
paul6865
need a hand with a revision question, I don't quite understand how to go about solving it question is attached below
View attachment 5916

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 4.55.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 4.55.45 PM.png
    23 KB · Views: 72
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

According to the definition of $u_n$,
\[
u_4=(1+i)u_3=(1+i)^2u_2=(1+i)^3u_1=3(1+i)^3=-6+6i.
\]
In general, $u_n=3(1+i)^{n-1}$. From there
\[
v_n=u_nu_{n+k}=3(1+i)^{n-1}\cdot3(1+i)^{n+k-1}=9(1+i)^{2n+k-2}.
\]
In particular,
\[
v_{n+1}=9(1+i)^{2n+k}=(1+i)^2v_n
\]
which means that $v_n$ is also a geometric sequence.

Another way to show this is to note that $\dfrac{u_n}{u_{n-1}}=1+i$ for all $i$. Therefore
\[
\dfrac{v_n}{v_{n-1}}=\dfrac{u_nu_{n+k}}{u_{n-1}u_{n+k-1}}=
\dfrac{u_n}{u_{n-1}}\cdot\dfrac{u_{n+k}}{u_{n+k-1}}=(1+i)(1+i)=(1+i)^2.
\]
The ratio does not depend on $n$; therefore, $v_n$ is a geometric sequence.

To answer other questions, you need to know formulas for the sum of geometric sequences and other information, which you can find in Wikipedia.

Please also read the http://mathhelpboards.com/rules/, especially rules 8 and 11.

Related to Understanding Complex Geometric Sequences: A Revision Question

1. What is a complex geometric sequence?

A complex geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number called the common ratio. Unlike a simple geometric sequence, the common ratio in a complex geometric sequence may be a complex number, meaning it has both a real and imaginary component.

2. How do you find the common ratio in a complex geometric sequence?

To find the common ratio in a complex geometric sequence, you divide any term by the previous term. The result will be a complex number. You can also use the formula r = (an + bi) / (an-1 + bi) where an and an-1 represent the real parts of the terms and b represents the imaginary part.

3. What is the formula for finding the nth term in a complex geometric sequence?

The formula for finding the nth term in a complex geometric sequence is an = a1 * rn-1, where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio. If the common ratio is a complex number, the formula can be written as an = (a1 * rn-1)(cos(nθ) + i*sin(nθ)), where θ is the angle formed by the complex number r and the positive real axis.

4. Can a complex geometric sequence have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a complex geometric sequence can have a negative common ratio. This means that each term in the sequence will have a negative sign, but the magnitude of the terms will still follow the pattern of a complex geometric sequence.

5. What are some real-life applications of complex geometric sequences?

Complex geometric sequences have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they can be used to model the oscillations of an electrical circuit, the growth of bacteria, or the movement of celestial bodies. They are also used in signal processing, cryptography, and image compression algorithms.