Understanding Colimits: A Proof and Explanation

• Thread starter Jim Kata
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the use of coproducts and coequalizers in proving colimits in small categories. The person is trying to understand the proofs and presents their own attempt, but is unsure of how to incorporate the universal property of coproducts and the small category part. They are seeking clarification and assistance in correcting their mistakes.
Jim Kata
I have been trying to teach myself some category theory, and have been working through some proofs. I didn't understand the proofs I read about proving colimits (in the case of a small categories) can be given in terms of coproducts and coequalizers. Here is my attempt at a proof. I would appreciate someone to correct my mistakes and explain the aspects I don't understand. I'm sorry if it is a bit disconbobulating since I'm not sure how to draw diagrams in latex. Let [tex] \mathcal{F} : \mathcal{B} \rightarrow \mathcal{A} [/tex] be a diagram where [tex] \mathcal{B}[/tex] is a small category. Let [tex]X_j[/tex] be an object in [tex] \mathcal{B}[/tex] (we can index it i guess because [tex] \mathcal{B}[/tex] is a small category?)

let [tex] \varphi : X_{j} \rightarrow X_{l} [/tex]

so [tex]\mathcal{F}(\varphi) : \mathcal{F}(X_{j}) \rightarrow \mathcal{F}(X_{l})[/tex]

Since the coproduct exists for every [tex]X_j[/tex]

there exists [tex]i_j:X_j \rightarrow \coprod_{Obj \mathcal{B}}B[/tex]

so there are two morphisms [tex]\mathcal{F}(i_j):\mathcal{F}(X_j) \rightarrow \mathcal{F}(\coprod_{Obj \mathcal{B}}B)[/tex]
and [tex]\mathcal{F}(i_l\varphi):\mathcal{F}(X_j) \rightarrow \mathcal{F}(X_l)\rightarrow \mathcal{F}(\coprod_{Obj \mathcal{B}}B)[/tex]

Using the existence of the coequalizer we have the cocone [tex](\phi,Q)[/tex]

where [tex]\phi(X_j)= q\circ\mathcal{F}(i_j): \mathcal{F}(X_j) \rightarrow Q[/tex] and by the universal property of the coequalizer we get the universal property of the cocones. I guess my problem is I don't see how I ever used the universal property of the coproduct and I'm not sure I used the small category part right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing it is because the coproduct is indexed by the objects of a small category but I don't understand how that works here. Thanks for any help!

Related to Understanding Colimits: A Proof and Explanation

1. What is a colimit?

A colimit is a mathematical concept that describes the limit of a directed system of objects or structures. It is often used in category theory and is similar to the concept of a limit in calculus.

2. How is a colimit different from a limit?

A colimit and a limit are similar in that they both describe the same concept of convergence. However, they differ in the type of objects they are applied to. A limit is applied to sequences of numbers, while a colimit is applied to a more general class of objects, such as sets, groups, or categories.

3. What are some examples of colimits?

Some examples of colimits include the union of sets, the direct sum of vector spaces, and the direct limit of a directed system of groups or rings. In category theory, products and coproducts are also examples of colimits.

4. How are colimits used in mathematics?

Colimits are used in mathematics to describe and understand the behavior of systems or structures that are composed of smaller objects. They allow for the study of infinite objects and provide a way to generalize concepts from one area of mathematics to another.

5. What is the significance of colimits in category theory?

In category theory, colimits are an essential tool for defining and studying universal properties. They provide a way to construct new objects from existing ones and are used to define important concepts, such as limits, adjoints, and functors.