Understanding Chain Rule: Differentiating P(x, y) and S(x, y)

In summary, Dp(a,b)(x,y) is the linear transformation from R2 to R represented by the vector <b, a>.<x, y>= bx + ay, and it is the derivative of the function p(x,y) at the point (a,b). In contrast, for the function s(x,y)= x + y, Ds(a,b) is simply the function itself, as it is already linear.
krcmd1
If P: R2 -> R is defined by p(x,y) = x . y, then

Dp(a,b)(x,y) = bx + ay.

Please tell me in words how to read Dp(a,b)(x,y). Is this a product? a composition of functions? Is this the differential of p(x,y) at (a,b)? If that's the case, why does the text also state:

If s: R2 -> R is defined by s(x,y) = x + y, then Ds(a,b) = s. (i.e. not "Ds(a,b)(x,y) = ...").

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
krcmd1 said:
If P: R2 -> R is defined by p(x,y) = x . y, then

Dp(a,b)(x,y) = bx + ay.

Please tell me in words how to read Dp(a,b)(x,y). Is this a product? a composition of functions? Is this the differential of p(x,y) at (a,b)?
The derivative of a function, from R2 to R, at a given point in R2, is a linear transformation from R2 to R. The form "Dp(a,b)(x,y)" is the linear transformation given by Dp(a,b) applied to the vector (x,y).

It is, in particular, the linear transformation that most closely approximates the functions at that point (all of that can be made precise, of course).

In a given coordinates system, we can always think of a linear transformation from R2 to R as a "dot product". That is, if, in a given coordinate system, L(x,y)= ax+ by, we can think of the linear transformation as represented by the vector <a, b> so that it's dot product with <x, y> is ax+ by.

Now, for a function from R2 to R, say f(x,y), that derivative at (a,b), i.e. linear transformation, is represented by the vector
[tex]<\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}>[/tex]

In this particular case, The partial derivative of xy, with respect to x, is y, and the partial derivative with respect to y is x. At the point (a,b) those are, respectively, b and a. That is, Dp(a,b) is the linear transformation, L, represented by L(x,y)= <b, a>.<x, y>= bx+ ay.

If that's the case, why does the text also state:

If s: R2 -> R is defined by s(x,y) = x + y, then Ds(a,b) = s. (i.e. not "Ds(a,b)(x,y) = ...").

Thank you!
Here, the partial derivatives of x+ y are both 1. Ds(a,b) would be the linear transformation, from R2 to R, that maps <x,y> to <1, 1>. <x, y>= x+ y. But that is just s itself!

Remember I said, above, that "It is, in particular, the linear transformation that most closely approximates the functions at that point ". Since the given function, s(x,y)= x+ y, is already linear, Ds= s (or Ds(a,b)= s(a,b)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.

Related to Understanding Chain Rule: Differentiating P(x, y) and S(x, y)

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the derivative of a composite function. It allows us to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable.

Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve many real-world problems. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you need to first identify the composite function and then use the formula: f'(g(x)) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x). This means that you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.

What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule are forgetting to take the derivative of the inner function, not properly identifying the composite function, and incorrectly applying the formula. It is important to double-check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

Can you give an example of using the chain rule?

One example of using the chain rule is finding the derivative of f(x) = (x^2 + 1)^3. First, we identify the composite function as (x^2 + 1)^3. Then, we take the derivative of the outer function, 3(x^2 + 1)^2, and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, 2x. Therefore, the derivative of f(x) is 6x(x^2 + 1)^2.