Understanding Carbon Decay: Solving for Decay Rate

In summary, the person is trying to find the decay rate of carbon and has the decay constant, half life, and number of atoms. They have tried using the equation R = ln(2) N/half life, but it did not work. The correct formula for finding the decay constant is k = (ln2)/(half life) = 0.000121 years^-1. Using this, the activity is calculated to be 7.89*10^6 particles per year. However, the answer is given in minutes, so it needs to be converted, resulting in an answer of 15 particles per minute. The person did not think to convert it at first, but the answer is correct.
jimmy42
How can I find the decay rate of carbon? I have found the decay constant and I know the half life and the number of atoms. I think I have the data and I have the answer but I think I am using the wrong equation as my answer does not fit the books.

The decay constant I got as -1.209x10^-4

N = 6.5234X10^10

half life = 5730 years.

I tried this:

R = ln(2) N/half life

That did not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for finding the decay constant is: k = (ln2)/(half life) = 0.000121 years^-1

Activity = kN
Activity = (0.000121 years^-1)(6.5234*10^10) = 7.89*10^6 particles per year

It might be possible that they expressed their answer in Becquerel, as it is the SI unit for activity. What answer did they give?

Last edited:
The answer was given in minutes, It should be 15

jimmy42 said:
The answer was given in minutes, It should be 15
Then the answer is correct.

7.89*10^6 particles per year

(7.89*10^6)/(365*24*60) particles per minutes = 15.0138 particles per minutes

= 15

Yes thanks, i didn't think to convert it.

Related to Understanding Carbon Decay: Solving for Decay Rate

1. What is Carbon Decay Rate?

Carbon Decay Rate is a measure of how quickly carbon-14, a radioactive isotope of carbon, decays into nitrogen-14. This process occurs at a predictable rate, making it useful for dating organic materials.

2. How is Carbon Decay Rate calculated?

Carbon Decay Rate is calculated using the half-life of carbon-14, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the original amount of carbon-14 to decay. The half-life of carbon-14 is approximately 5,730 years. Scientists can use this information to determine the amount of carbon-14 remaining in a sample and calculate the rate of decay.

3. What factors can affect Carbon Decay Rate?

The rate of carbon decay can be affected by environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to radiation. Additionally, any contamination of the sample can also impact the rate of decay.

4. How is Carbon Decay Rate used in dating objects?

Since the rate of carbon decay is constant, scientists can use the amount of carbon-14 remaining in a sample to estimate how long ago the organism died. This method is commonly used in archaeological and geological dating, as well as in forensic science.

5. Are there any limitations to using Carbon Decay Rate for dating?

While carbon decay rate is a reliable method for dating objects, it is not suitable for samples older than approximately 50,000 years. This is because after this time, the amount of carbon-14 remaining in a sample is too small to accurately measure. Additionally, contamination or mixing of materials can also affect the accuracy of the results.