Understanding Capacitor Networks: 120+(-60), 30+(-90)

In summary, the problem is asking for the total flow of charge as a result of shorting the switch, and the work cited is for calculating equivalent capacitance. The first part is finding the charge on each capacitor, and then the effective new charges can be calculated.
herich
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram is rather unclear. I don't see any voltmeter. Where is it supposed to be?

herich said:
How can I know the top 2 plates are +60 and below are -60?
120+(-60) and 30+(-90)?
And how can I fill in the blanks~?

The statement of the problem is incorrect and I will assume it is sloppy wording, because after equilibrium is reached, there is no current flowing anywhere in the circuit with no restive path between the terminals of the battery.

But taking the awkward wording as meaning they want to know the total flow of charge as a result of shorting the switch, I have to ask where it is you got the figures for the charges on the capacitors before or after the switch is shorted?

Please show your work as to how you arrived at those figures at the points x and y.

Actually there are the figures deduced from my friend's tutor.
But I know that first we can treat the network as two parallel networks, and the two sides of the capacitors can simply computed by using the formula Q=VC.

I just doubt how <+60>and <-60> can be found out. And how to deduce in what way the charge will flow.

herich said:
Actually there are the figures deduced from my friend's tutor.
But I know that first we can treat the network as two parallel networks, and the two sides of the capacitors can simply computed by using the formula Q=VC.

I just doubt how <+60>and <-60> can be found out. And how to deduce in what way the charge will flow.

Why don't you start out then by calculating the equivalent capacitance of each leg. Then you will know the first part of what you need - the charge on each capacitor - and hence the voltage at each node.

Then you proceed to calculate the equivalent capacitance of the new network after the short is affected. Armed with that you can calculate the effective new charges and then you can describe the difference.

Related to Understanding Capacitor Networks: 120+(-60), 30+(-90)

1. What is a capacitor network?

A capacitor network is a group of two or more capacitors connected in a circuit to achieve a specific function, such as storing and releasing electrical energy.

2. What does the number before the parentheses represent in the expression "120+(-60)"?

The number before the parentheses represents the value of the first capacitor in the network. In this case, it is 120.

3. What does the number inside the parentheses represent in the expression "120+(-60)"?

The number inside the parentheses represents the value of the second capacitor in the network. In this case, it is -60, indicating that the capacitor is connected in reverse polarity.

4. What is the significance of connecting capacitors in reverse polarity?

Connecting capacitors in reverse polarity allows for the cancellation of voltage and the reduction of capacitance in the network. This can be useful in adjusting the overall capacitance of the network to achieve a desired function.

5. How do you calculate the total capacitance of a capacitor network?

The total capacitance of a capacitor network can be calculated by adding the individual capacitance values of each capacitor in the network. However, the calculation becomes more complex when capacitors are connected in parallel or series. In those cases, specific formulas must be used to calculate the total capacitance.