Understanding Cantor Set - What Are The Points Between Endpoints?

In summary, C is the Cantor set which is the limit of a construction process, while A is the set formed by the union of end points of intervals in each step of the construction. It is true that A is countable and C is uncountable, with A being a proper subset of C. The points in C-A are the limit points of sequences in A, and can also be understood through a ternary expansion.
boombaby
Let C be the Cantor set
Let A be the set which is the union of those end points of each interval in each step of the cantor set construction

It seems to be true that A is countable and C is uncountable. Moreover, A is a proper subset of C. But I cannot imagin what kind of the points in C - A should be, for if p is not an end point of some interval, p seems to be an interior point of some interval but contor set contains no segment. Is there any way to understand these points besides using an ternary expansion to prove that C is uncountable and hence ponits like this simply exist?

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
C is the *limit* of that construction. There is nothing odd about an uncountable set being a limit of a sequence of countable ones like that. The real numbers would be such an example: take the set D_n to be the numbers with n digits after the decimal point. The 'limit' of these sets are the real numbers.

The things in C-A are the limit points of sequences in A.

ah, I understand it now. Thanks. sometimes it is difficult to have an explicit view of the existence of limit points

Alternatively, the points of the Cantor set are numbers 0 <= x <=1 which can be written in base 3 with no 1's. eg x=0.20022002...
The endpoints are such numbers which eventually become repeating 2s or repeating 0s. eg, x = 0.2022222...
You can approximate any number as closely as you like by ones with a terminating base-3 expansion.

boombaby said:
Let C be the Cantor set
Let A be the set which is the union of those end points of each interval in each step of the cantor set construction

It seems to be true that A is countable and C is uncountable. Moreover, A is a proper subset of C. But I cannot imagin what kind of the points in C - A should be, for if p is not an end point of some interval, p seems to be an interior point of some interval but contor set contains no segment. Is there any way to understand these points besides using an ternary expansion to prove that C is uncountable and hence ponits like this simply exist?

Any help would be appreciated

I saw you solved already your doubts.
I remember having the same doubt when I saw the Cantor dust for the first time.
It took quite lot of time to understand it by myself!

Related to Understanding Cantor Set - What Are The Points Between Endpoints?

1. What is the Cantor Set?

The Cantor Set is a mathematical construction created by Georg Cantor in the late 19th century. It is a fractal set that is created by removing the middle third of a line segment, and then repeating this process infinitely on the remaining line segments.

2. What are the properties of the Cantor Set?

The Cantor Set is a self-similar set, meaning that it looks the same at any scale. It is also uncountable, meaning that it contains an infinite number of points. Additionally, it has a Lebesgue measure of zero, meaning that it has no length, width, or thickness.

3. How is the Cantor Set related to fractals?

The Cantor Set is considered one of the earliest examples of a fractal, as it exhibits self-similarity and has a complex and infinitely repeating pattern. It also inspired the development of other fractals, such as the Cantor dust and Sierpinski triangle.

4. How is the Cantor Set used in mathematics?

The Cantor Set has many applications in mathematics, including in the study of real analysis, topology, and dynamical systems. It is also used in computer science for generating random numbers and creating fractal graphics.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the Cantor Set?

The Cantor Set can be seen in various natural phenomena, such as the branching patterns of trees and the coastline of certain countries. It is also used in architecture, with buildings such as the "Cantor Building" in London featuring a Cantor Set design on its exterior.