Understanding Beat Frequency: Equations and Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the frequency of two sources based on a graph showing 8 complete wavelengths in an interval of 0.15s. The calculated frequency is 50 Hz, which is the average of f1 and f2. However, there is a mistake in the calculation and the correct answer should be C instead of A. The author of the question may also be confused as they stated the wrong beat frequency.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

See attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f1 - f2 = 5

What's there for me to interpret in the graph?

Attachments

• Beat frequency.jpg
    Beat frequency.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
From the graph you can see 8 complete wavelengths. This occurs in an interval of 0.15s

therefore f=number of events(or wavelengths) / [tex]\Delta[/tex]t .

R.

Rick88 said:
From the graph you can see 8 complete wavelengths. This occurs in an interval of 0.15s

therefore f=number of events(or wavelengths) / [tex]\Delta[/tex]t .

R.

I counted 7.5 and taking a closer look the interval is 0.16.

f=8/(0.16)=50

What is this frequency? Is it the frequency of one of the sources? Or is it the resultant frequency?

By the way, the answer given is A

The f you calculated is the average of f1 and f2.
thereddevils said:

The Attempt at a Solution

f1 - f2 = 5
The answer choices suggest a different value for f1 - f2.

Redbelly98 said:
The f you calculated is the average of f1 and f2.

The answer choices suggest a different value for f1 - f2.

so the answer should be C?

thereddevils said:
so the answer should be C?
Based on your calculation of 50 Hz, yes. However, I recommend doing the following calculation over (can you spot the error?):
thereddevils said:
I counted 7.5 and taking a closer look the interval is 0.16.

f=8/(0.16)=50

By the way, the answer given is A
I think the author of the question is confused. They also stated the wrong beat frequency in the problem statement.

Redbelly98 said:
Based on your calculation of 50 Hz, yes. However, I recommend doing the following calculation over (can you spot the error?):

I think the author of the question is confused. They also stated the wrong beat frequency in the problem statement.

ok thanks all for helping.

Related to Understanding Beat Frequency: Equations and Solutions

What is beat frequency?

Beat frequency is a phenomenon that occurs when two sound waves with slightly different frequencies are played simultaneously. The resulting sound has a pulsating or "beating" quality due to the interference of the two waves.

How is beat frequency calculated?

The beat frequency is calculated by finding the difference between the two frequencies of the sound waves. For example, if one wave has a frequency of 400 Hz and the other has a frequency of 405 Hz, the beat frequency would be 5 Hz.

What causes beat frequency?

Beat frequency is caused by the interference of two sound waves with slightly different frequencies. When these waves overlap, they create areas of reinforcement and cancellation, resulting in the pulsating or beating sound.

What are some real-life applications of beat frequency?

Beat frequency is used in tuning musical instruments, such as guitars, to ensure that all strings are in tune with each other. It is also used in audio engineering to create effects such as tremolo and vibrato.

Can beat frequency be harmful?

No, beat frequency is not harmful. It is simply a natural phenomenon that occurs when two sound waves interact. However, if the frequencies of the waves are extremely high, it may cause discomfort or pain to the ears.