Understanding Arc Length and Line Integrals for Surface Area Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of surface area for a fire relief PSV using a line integral. The formula for arc length is discussed and the concept of multiplying a curve by its length is questioned. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding line integration in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.
rppearso
Hello, I am trying to solve for the surface area of a odd surface for a fire relief PSV and needed to do a line integral but I was reading into my calculus book and going back to the definition of arc length I am confused:

L = lim[tex]_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum (P_{i-1}*P_{i})[/tex]

Multiplication should give you an area like when you multipy the function of a curve C by the length just like an integral. This is a fundamental definition so I can not go back any farther maybe I am just missing something logically in my own mind. Understanding line integration is also fundamental to fluid dynamics and E&M which are both of great interest to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rppearso said:
Hello, I am trying to solve for the surface area of a odd surface for a fire relief PSV and needed to do a line integral but I was reading into my calculus book and going back to the definition of arc length I am confused:

L = lim[tex]_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum (P_{i-1}*P_{i})[/tex]
First what are Pi and Pi-1? Without knowing that we can't make any sense out of that formula. Also, where did you get that formula? I don't recognize it.
If you divide a curve into n pieces, then the arclength is the sum of the length of anyone piece which, for large n, can be approximated by the straight line between the endpoints:
sum [itex]\sqrt{((x_i- x_{i-1})^2+ (y_i- y_{i-1})^2+ (z_i- z_{i-1})^2}[/itex] and the actual arc length is the limit as n goes to infinity.

Multiplication should give you an area like when you multipy the function of a curve C by the length just like an integral.
I have no idea what you mean by this. By "the function of a curve" I presume you mean something like the f(x) in y= f(x) or the vector function [itex]\vec{r}(t)= f(t)\vec{i}+ g(t)\vec{j}+ h(t)\vec{k}[/itex]. But the product of either of those by a number (the arclength) is not a number (the area). And what area are you talking about? In general, an arc does not have any "area" associated with it.

This is a fundamental definition so I can not go back any farther maybe I am just missing something logically in my own mind. Understanding line integration is also fundamental to fluid dynamics and E&M which are both of great interest to me.
In general, if a curve in 3 dimensions is given by (x(t),y(t),z(t)), that is, as parametric functions of t, then the arclength, from t0 to t1 is given by
[tex]\int_{t_0}^{t_1}\sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^2} dt[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
First what are Pi and Pi-1? Without knowing that we can't make any sense out of that formula. Also, where did you get that formula? I don't recognize it.
If you divide a curve into n pieces, then the arclength is the sum of the length of anyone piece which, for large n, can be approximated by the straight line between the endpoints:
sum [itex]\sqrt{((x_i- x_{i-1})^2+ (y_i- y_{i-1})^2+ (z_i- z_{i-1})^2}[/itex] and the actual arc length is the limit as n goes to infinity.

I have no idea what you mean by this. By "the function of a curve" I presume you mean something like the f(x) in y= f(x) or the vector function [itex]\vec{r}(t)= f(t)\vec{i}+ g(t)\vec{j}+ h(t)\vec{k}[/itex]. But the product of either of those by a number (the arclength) is not a number (the area). And what area are you talking about? In general, an arc does not have any "area" associated with it.

In general, if a curve in 3 dimensions is given by (x(t),y(t),z(t)), that is, as parametric functions of t, then the arclength, from t0 to t1 is given by
[tex]\int_{t_0}^{t_1}\sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^2} dt[/tex]

This was out of James Stewart Calculus book and I realized this just represneted a line segment it was not multiplicitive.

Related to Understanding Arc Length and Line Integrals for Surface Area Calculation

What is arc length and line integrals?

Arc length is the length of a curve on a graph, while line integrals are a way to calculate the area under a curve or the work done by a force along a curved path. They are both fundamental concepts in calculus and are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How is arc length calculated?

Arc length can be calculated using the formula: L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)²) dx, where dy/dx represents the derivative of the curve. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and can be used to find the length of any curve on a graph.

What is the difference between arc length and distance?

Arc length is the length of a curve on a graph, while distance is the length of the straight line connecting two points. In other words, arc length takes into account the curvature of a curve, while distance does not.

What is the relationship between arc length and line integrals?

Line integrals are closely related to arc length as they can be used to calculate the arc length of a curve. This is done by setting the integrand to 1 and integrating over the curve. The resulting value will be the arc length of the curve.

What are some real-life applications of arc length and line integrals?

Arc length and line integrals have many real-life applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a car along a curved path, finding the work done by a force on a moving object, and determining the surface area of a 3D object. They are also commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-world problems.