Understanding Algebra Division Formulas: SPI, EV, PV, and AC

In summary, the conversation discusses two equivalent versions of the formula for calculating cost and schedule performance indices. The first version is CPI=EV/AC, and the second version is SPI=EV/PV. The conversation also clarifies that both versions are essentially the same, with the only difference being in how the equations are rearranged. These versions can be used to calculate one quantity in terms of the others, depending on the given data.
falcios
If you rearrange this formula from SPI=EV/PV to EV=SPI*PV. Why is this formula like this: CPI=EV/AC is AC=EV/CPI
Aren't they basically the same.

Thanks for the help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We begin with:

\(\displaystyle CPI=\frac{EV}{AC}\)

Now, multiply both sides by \(\displaystyle \frac{AC}{CPI}\):

\(\displaystyle CPI\cdot\frac{AC}{CPI}=\frac{EV}{AC}\cdot\frac{AC}{CPI}\)

\(\displaystyle AC\cdot\frac{CPI}{CPI}=\frac{EV}{CPI}\cdot\frac{AC}{AC}\)

\(\displaystyle AC\cdot1=\frac{EV}{CPI}\cdot1\)

\(\displaystyle AC=\frac{EV}{CPI}\)

I'm still lost aren't the two formulas basically the same why is there 2 different solutions?

Is there a simpler way to calculate for someone who is relearning the basics.

Thanks.

karush said:
also $SPI=EV/PV$ to $EV=SPI*PV$

it should be $SPI=EV/PV$ to $EV=SPI/PV$ you divide both sides by $PV$ to isolate $EV$

You want to multiply both sides by $PV$ to isolate $EV$.

Hello! I'm invading another thread. :eek:

Falcios, you are right. They are mathematically equivalent, as both Mark and Karush have shown you. However, what I think is really the issue here is: why bother with the equivalent versions?

The answer is that each version helps you calculate one quantity in terms of the others. When you write

$$\text{SPI} = \frac{\text{EV}}{\text{PV}}$$

you can find the value of SPI in terms of EV and PV. If, for some reason, you are given SPI and PV, you can find the value of EV in terms of these. Likewise, you can find the value of PV in terms of SPI and EV by doing the calculation

$$\text{PV} = \frac{\text{EV}}{\text{SPI}}.$$

In other words, there are not 2 "solutions", but two ways of interpreting results in light of what data you might have.

Hope this has helped. :D

Cheers!

Related to Understanding Algebra Division Formulas: SPI, EV, PV, and AC

1. What is the formula for dividing two algebraic expressions?

The formula for dividing two algebraic expressions is to multiply the dividend by the reciprocal of the divisor. In other words, you flip the divisor (the number being divided by) and multiply it by the dividend (the number being divided).

2. How do I divide two algebraic fractions?

To divide two algebraic fractions, you follow the same steps as dividing two numerical fractions. First, find the reciprocal of the divisor (flip the fraction). Then, multiply the two fractions together using the formula mentioned in question 1. Finally, simplify the resulting fraction if possible.

3. Can I divide by a variable in algebra?

Yes, you can divide by a variable in algebra. When dividing by a variable, you can simplify the expression by canceling out any common factors between the numerator and denominator. However, if the variable has an exponent, you will need to use the quotient rule to divide.

4. How do I divide polynomials in algebra?

To divide polynomials in algebra, you use a similar process to dividing numerical fractions. First, make sure the polynomials are written in standard form and have the same degree. Then, use long division or synthetic division to divide the polynomials. Finally, simplify the resulting quotient if possible.

5. What is the difference between dividing with and without exponents in algebra?

The main difference between dividing with and without exponents in algebra is the use of the quotient rule. When dividing with exponents, you must follow the quotient rule, which states that you subtract the exponents and keep the base the same. When dividing without exponents, you can simply divide the numerical coefficients and variables as usual.