Understanding Absolute Values.

In summary, The conversation is about understanding absolute values in math, specifically in the context of solving a linear differential equation. The solution involves using an integrating factor, which is defined as the absolute value of x. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the initial value and the restrictions on x in solving the equation. The conversation ends with a reminder that in this particular case, x cannot be negative.
jtabije
Hey Guys! I've frequently come by this forum and have finally joined it in hopes that I could get some more conceptual insight in understanding math.

One thing that I have trouble with is absolute values. I understand that:

|x|= [tex]\sqrt{x^2}[/tex] .. and how it can be defined given restrictions on x.

..but I'm having some trouble trying to completely understand and confidently use them in some contexts.

For example, consider this simple first-order linear differential equation:

xy' + y = [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]

Assuming you don't do this through inspection, you would get an integrating factor I such that:

I = e^ln(|x|) = |x|

How would one utilize that to find the solution given no bounds and restrictions on x?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
One way would be to consider x > 0 (x = |x|) and x < 0 (x = -|x|) as separate cases.

Thanks for the reply, Mathman. Is there another way than to separate it into separate cases?

I feel as if I'm forgetting a key concept. For example, consider this simplifcation that was given in a solution manual of mine:

I(x) = e^[tex]{\int(-1/x dx)}[/tex] = e[tex]^{(-ln(x))}[/tex]= e[tex]^{ln(x^{-1})}[/tex] = 1/x

Shouldn't it simplify to 1/|x|?

Yes, since
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x} = \ln{|x| + C[/tex]

(I have omitted the negative sign in your problem to focus on the integral.)

If the context of this problem is a differential equation with an initial condition, the sign of the initial value is often used to choose positive values for x, or negative values.

Ahh! The initial value! How could I have overlooked that, Mark44?

Thanks!

We might also point out that, in this particular case,
[tex]xy'+ y= \sqrt{x}[/tex]
with y a real valued function, x cannot be negative so we would use |x|= x.

Related to Understanding Absolute Values.

1. What is an absolute value?

An absolute value is the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always a positive number, regardless of whether the original number was positive or negative.

2. How do you find the absolute value of a number?

To find the absolute value of a number, you simply drop any negative sign in front of the number. If the number is already positive, the absolute value will remain the same.

3. What is the purpose of using absolute values?

Absolute values are used to represent magnitudes or distances without regard to direction. They are also commonly used in mathematical equations and functions.

4. Can absolute values be fractions or decimals?

Yes, absolute values can be fractions or decimals. The absolute value of a fraction or decimal will always be a positive number.

5. What is the difference between absolute value and magnitude?

Absolute value and magnitude are similar concepts, but magnitude is used to describe the size or extent of a vector or quantity, whereas absolute value is used to describe the distance from zero on a number line.