Understanding AAPT Hard Problem: Torque & Moment of Inertia Explained

• Thread starter xphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aapt Hard
In summary, the problem is that you don't know how to find the new moment of inertia after you drill a hole in the cylinder. You need to put in a force that will balance the original moment of inertia.
xphysics
ibaz34.jpg

I can't wrap my head around this problem?
I think that when you drill a whole like that, the cylinder will roll back to attain its equilibrium so need to hold it with a certain torque to keep it in place, but i do not know how to find the torque

What i have in mind is:
since T=dL/dt, but L=Iw(w is angular velocity) so T=Ia(a is angular acceleration). So I'm trying to find a balanced torque but i do not know how to find the new moment of inertia? Do we use the parallel axis theorem? or it doesn't work because there's hole in it?? HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the same thing as if you took the original cylinder and applied an upward force of 15N at the location where you drilled the hole (i.e., at the location of the center of the hole).

Chet

Can you explain how you got that? that'd be swelled thanks

xphysics said:
Can you explain how you got that? that'd be swelled thanks

Removing material is the same as adding negative material (or gluing on negative weight material).

Chet

but.. the right answer isn't 15N it's 6N?

xphysics said:
but.. the right answer isn't 15N it's 6N?
You need to put the 15 N force in where I said, and then do a balance of moments to figure out what additional force you need to apply tangentially at a to get no net moment. For example, the moment of the 15 N force is 15(2a)/5.

Chet

OH! I GET IT! THANKS DUDE! still kinda not intuitive about the idea of that 15N upward force, what if the shape it different or cutting 2 shapes of different of different size?? is there a mathematical way to determine that 15N?

xphysics said:
OH! I GET IT! THANKS DUDE! still kinda not intuitive about the idea of that 15N upward force, what if the shape it different or cutting 2 shapes of different of different size?? is there a mathematical way to determine that 15N?
I don't think you need anyone's help answering either of these questions. Just take some time to mull them over (say, while you're walking the dog, brushing your teeth, or taking a shower). If you're still not sure after another day, come back and I'll help you.

Chet

Related to Understanding AAPT Hard Problem: Torque & Moment of Inertia Explained

1. What is the AAPT hard problem?

The AAPT hard problem refers to a set of five unsolved and challenging problems in physics that were identified by the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) in 2005. These problems are considered to be some of the most important and fundamental questions in physics that have yet to be fully understood.

2. What are the five problems included in the AAPT hard problem?

The five problems included in the AAPT hard problem are the nature of dark energy, the origin of mass, the unification of quantum mechanics and general relativity, the quantum measurement problem, and the arrow of time. Each of these problems presents a unique challenge and has been the subject of extensive research and debate in the scientific community.

3. Why is the AAPT hard problem important?

The AAPT hard problem is important because it highlights the current limitations of our understanding of the universe and the need for further research and innovation in the field of physics. These problems have the potential to significantly advance our understanding of the universe and could have far-reaching implications for future technologies and advancements in science.

4. What progress has been made on the AAPT hard problem?

Despite decades of research, the AAPT hard problem remains largely unsolved. However, significant progress has been made in understanding and developing theories to address each of the five problems. For example, the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 provided a potential explanation for the origin of mass, and ongoing experiments and observations continue to shed light on the other problems.

5. How can I contribute to the research on the AAPT hard problem?

Anyone can contribute to the research on the AAPT hard problem by staying informed about the latest developments and supporting scientific institutions and organizations. Additionally, pursuing a career in physics or related fields and conducting research on these problems can also make a significant impact in advancing our understanding of the universe.