Understanding 2D Motion: Finding Speed on a Slope

In summary, a 42.5kg person is skiing down a 42.0 degree hill with a coefficient of kinetic friction between the snow and skis of 0.180. After 4.56 seconds, the skier's speed can be determined using the equation ffkmax = coefficient * FN. The direction of the frictional force and the skier's movement are important considerations in solving this problem.
thewestbrew

Homework Statement

A 42.5kg person is going down a hill sloped at 42.0 degrees. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the snow and skis is 0.180. How fast is the skier going 4.56 seconds after starting from rest?

Homework Equations

Is ffkmax equal to net force?

The Attempt at a Solution

coefficient of kinetic friction:.180 t=4.56 mass=42.5kh Angle=42 degrees Vo=0

I created a free body diagram.

I used (mg)(cos 42) to get total force going opposite of FN. I made that force equal to FN and plugged the number into the equation ffkmax=coefficient(.180)*FN(315.83).

Got 76.5N=ffkmax. Now I am not sure if i use fnet=ma or a motion equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
thewestbrew said:
Is ffkmax equal to net force?
Which way does the frictional force point, up or down the slope? If it were the only force in that direction, which way would the skier move?

Related to Understanding 2D Motion: Finding Speed on a Slope

1. How is speed related to 2D motion?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a particular direction. In 2D motion, speed is the rate at which an object changes its position over a given amount of time in two dimensions (usually represented by x and y axes).

2. How do you calculate speed in 2D motion?

To calculate speed in 2D motion, you need to divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken. This gives you the average speed of the object. You can also calculate the instantaneous speed at a specific moment by finding the slope of the tangent line on the position-time graph at that point.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in 2D motion?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have distinct differences. While speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, velocity also includes the direction of the motion. This means that two objects can have the same speed, but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

4. How does acceleration affect speed in 2D motion?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes. In 2D motion, acceleration can affect the speed of an object by either increasing or decreasing it. When an object is accelerating in the same direction as its velocity, its speed will increase. On the other hand, when an object is accelerating in the opposite direction as its velocity, its speed will decrease.

5. Can an object have a constant speed and still accelerate in 2D motion?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed and still accelerate in 2D motion. This is because acceleration takes into account the change in velocity, not just the speed. So, if an object is moving at a constant speed but changes direction, it is still considered to be accelerating in 2D motion.