Understand Negative Power Conversions to Positive Fractions

• Thread starter Simon Peach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, a negative exponent is converted to a positive fraction power by adding a one over it. However, this is not always true, as the correct conversion for a negative exponent is to take the reciprocal of the base raised to the positive exponent. The terminology used in the conversation, "n -2 into n1/2" is incorrect and may have caused confusion. It is important to refer to a textbook or other resources for information on how to properly define and use negative exponents.
Simon Peach
Member warned to provide more thoughtful titles

Homework Statement

I know this is the rule, but I find this very confusing. A negative power, surd, exponent is converted to a positive fraction power. As I said I find this very confusing as a negative is converted to a positive by the addition of a one over it.

2. Relevant equation
n -2 into n1/2
I can't see the logic in this.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Peach said:

Homework Statement

I know this is the rule, but I find this very confusing. A negative power, surd, exponent is converted to a positive fraction power. As I said I find this very confusing as a negative is converted to a positive by the addition of a one over it.

2. Relevant equation
n -2 into n1/2
I can't see the logic in this.
Nor is there any, because it isn't true.
##n^{-2} = \frac 1 {n^2}##, not ##n^{1/2}##
Your textbook should give some information about how negative exponents are defined.
Simon Peach said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the rule to which you are referring. And I don't understand your terminology where you said,
Simon Peach said:
n -2 into n1/2
Are you dividing n1/2 by n-2?

You are correct. n-2 is not equal to n1/2.

Mark44 said:
Nor is there any, because it isn't true.
##n^{-2} = \frac 1 {n^2}##, not ##n^{1/2}##
Your textbook should give some information about how negative exponents are defined.
Thanks Mark, I downloaded a vid now I understand

Related to Understand Negative Power Conversions to Positive Fractions

1. What is a negative power?

A negative power is a mathematical notation used to represent a quantity that is smaller than 1. It is written as a base number raised to a negative exponent, such as 2-3. This can also be interpreted as the reciprocal of the base number raised to a positive exponent, in this case, 1/23.

2. How do I convert a negative power to a positive fraction?

To convert a negative power to a positive fraction, follow these steps:

1. Write the number as a fraction with 1 as the numerator and the base number as the denominator. For example, if you have 2-3, write it as 1/23.
  2. Flip the fraction, so the numerator becomes the denominator and vice versa. In our example, 1/23 becomes 23/1.
  3. Simplify the fraction if possible. In this case, 23/1 simplifies to 8.

3. Why do we need to convert negative powers to positive fractions?

Negative powers are often used in scientific notation to represent very small quantities, such as in measurements of length or time. However, in some cases, it may be more useful to express these quantities as positive fractions, especially when comparing them to other numbers or performing calculations.

4. Can negative powers be converted to positive fractions for any base number?

Yes, negative powers can be converted to positive fractions for any base number. The process is the same regardless of the base number, as long as the rules of exponents are followed.

5. Are there any other ways to represent negative powers besides using exponents?

Yes, negative powers can also be written using decimal notation. For example, 2-3 can be written as 0.125, which is equivalent to 1/8. However, using exponents is a more compact and efficient way to represent negative powers, especially when dealing with very small or very large quantities.