Undergrad in *dire* need of advice

In summary, Melissa is undecided about whether to continue her physics degree and pursue either material science or applied physics. She is concerned about her career prospects and wishes she had more information about which area of physics is more in demand.
MelissaM
Hello everyone,
My name is Melissa i am a physics undergrad about to finish up my third and last year. I am facing a problem with deciding whether to continue my master's degree as a theoretical physicist or go into material science, biophysics or applied physics.

Mainly the problem I'm facing is that i really have no idea what's the best option for me; i enjoy working in labs on experiments, so i think material science is a good option but i am not sure of 2 things.

1st is there a difference between material science and material physics?
2nd what's the difference between applied physics and material physics/science?

my last question is: in your opinion what is the best section of physics to be in right now (Career wise)? because i have no clue what i'll end up working as if i went into astronomy or whatever other part of physics...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this,
as you can tell I'm extremely lost any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Those terms are more-or-less interchangable. However, often programs (at least in my very limited experience) that are called "material science" have a significant engineering component.

2. Applied physics is similar to engineering physics as it is not well defined and different people/schools define it differently. I often think of it as kind of a bridge between engineering and physics but I'm an engineer so my perspective might not be so helpful. Hopefully someone else can chime in there.

3. Physics is always a challenging field to get a satisfactory career in. My understanding is condensed matter physics has a lot more support behind it these days. If you're interested in industry, please try hard to get an internship or contacts with industry before you graduate.

Likes MelissaM
I would recommend you pursue biophysics/applied physics/materials science.

There are interesting problems to work on in these fields and they are quite active. I am currently in a biophysics group, and one of the recent PhD graduates got a job straight out of graduate school working for a bank on detection algorithms for credit card fraud. I think the job prospects post-grad are good, and the problems in graduate school are very interesting.

Likes MelissaM
@analogdesign Thank you for the advice! actually helpful, if you thought of anything else please do tell me!

Last edited:
Hello @Arsenic&Lace sorry for the late reply.

Here's the thing, i wouldn't enjoy working in finance hence the problem I'm facing with choosing which field to go into...

So what kind of projects do you work on as a biophysicist? does it have anything to do with working on new ways to help with the medical equipment ? Please anything at this point would be helpful!

Thank you for taking the time to help out!

MelissaM said:
deciding whether to continue my master's degree as a theoretical physicist or go into material science, biophysics or applied physics.

If you're torn between theory and something else I'd suggest the something else. I started off in an experimental condensed matter research group before changing to a theory group, if I hadn't felt compelled to do theory I'd probably be second guessing myself. I can't say for sure, but I'd guess hands on experimental experience will do more to help you later in terms of a career, I think it's unlikely to do less than theory.

If it matters, my PhD was in string theory and I now write software (in my research I only used computers for formatting papers). I've had a couple of jobs programming biomed software and contributed to a few papers, so a background in science was nice to have, but not essential. I haven't done anything related to physics since grad school.

Related to Undergrad in *dire* need of advice

1. How can I balance my coursework and extracurricular activities?

Time management is key in balancing your coursework and extracurricular activities. Make a schedule and stick to it, prioritize your tasks, and don't be afraid to say no to certain commitments. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

2. Is it better to have a high GPA or participate in a lot of extracurriculars?

Both a high GPA and involvement in extracurriculars are important for your undergraduate experience. However, it's important to find a balance and prioritize what is most important to you. Focus on excelling in a few extracurriculars that align with your interests and goals, rather than spreading yourself too thin.

3. How can I find research opportunities as an undergraduate student?

Start by reaching out to professors in your field of interest and expressing your interest in research. Attend departmental events and seminars, join research clubs or organizations, and utilize online resources such as research databases or your university's career center. Networking and persistence are key in finding research opportunities.

4. Should I pursue a graduate degree right after completing my undergraduate degree?

It ultimately depends on your individual goals and career plans. Some students choose to go directly into a graduate program, while others take time to gain work experience before pursuing a graduate degree. Consider your long-term goals and consult with mentors or advisors for guidance.

5. How can I make the most of my undergraduate experience?

Take advantage of all the opportunities available to you, whether it's joining clubs and organizations, participating in research or internships, or studying abroad. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things. Additionally, build relationships with your professors and peers, as they can provide valuable support and advice throughout your undergraduate journey.