Uncovering the Mystery of Dark Matter: Theory and Evidence Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dark matter and dark energy and whether there is any evidence besides the spreading of cosmological objects to support their existence. The speaker has a theory that could explain this without the need for anything beyond relativistic physics, but they are seeking feedback from others as they do not have access to academia. The evidence for dark matter is the lack of ordinary matter to hold galaxies together, while the evidence for dark energy is the observed acceleration of the universe's expansion.
jarlent
Can someone explain to me if there is any evidence besides the spreading of cosmological objects behind dark matter/energy? Because I have a pretty solid theory that could explain that without anything beyond relativistic physics.

I've got quite a few solid ideas, but I don't have access to academia, so I have to reach out via the internet to get feedback from others.

I don't want to go into details, but I have a conceptual model worked out as far as I can go without heavy number work, and I'd rather find a trained partner than spend ten years learning the math.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "spreading of cosmological objects".

However, the evidence for dark matter is there is far too little ordinary matter to hold galaxies or galactic clusters together. The idea has been around for quite a while.

For dark energy, the evidence was first observed about ten years ago and has to do with the apparent speedup of the universe expansion. This may be what you had in mind.

Related to Uncovering the Mystery of Dark Matter: Theory and Evidence Explained

What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that is believed to exist in the universe but cannot be detected by traditional telescopes. It is estimated to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe.

How was dark matter discovered?

The existence of dark matter was first proposed in the 1930s by Swiss astronomer Fritz Zwicky, who noticed discrepancies in the observed masses of galaxy clusters. The term "dark matter" was coined in the 1970s by astronomer Vera Rubin.

What is the evidence for dark matter?

There are several lines of evidence that support the existence of dark matter. Some of the strongest evidence comes from the rotation curves of galaxies, the gravitational lensing effect on light, and the distribution of matter in the early universe.

What is the difference between dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter and dark energy are two different phenomena that make up the majority of the universe. Dark matter is believed to be a type of matter that does not interact with light, while dark energy is a force that is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate.

How is dark matter currently being studied?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study dark matter, including gravitational lensing, particle collider experiments, and astrophysical observations. Researchers are also working on developing new technologies and theories to better understand dark matter and its role in the universe.