Uncertainty of the Best Value from a Multiple-Trial Experiment

In summary: I will definitely check out that book. In summary, the best value for the five trials was 5.39 ± 0.03.
WannaLearnPhysics
Homework Statement
Uncertainty of the best value in a Multiple-Trial Experiment in which each trial has its own uncertainty.
Relevant Equations
I took the average of the best estimates in each trial to get the best estimate of the best value. I also did that with the uncertainties, however, I'm wondering if this is wrong.
For Example:
Trial 1: 5.36 ± 0.03
Trial 2: 5.42 ± 0.04
Trial 3: 5.35 ± 0.01
Trial 4: 5.38 ± 0.03
Trial 5: 5.45 ± 0.02

What I did was take the average of the best estimates and the uncertainties.
Best Value 5.39 ± 0.03

(0.03+0.04+0.01+0.03+0.02)/5=0.026=0.03

Physics news on Phys.org
WannaLearnPhysics said:
I'm wondering if this is wrong.
Wrong is a strong term. But you must agree you don't do justice to your best measurement that has ##\pm\;##0.01.

If your uncertainties are reasonably well established (*), the proper way to do this is to weigh the individual measurements by weight ##w_i = 1/\sigma_i^2## and to calculate$$\bar x = {\sum w_i\,x_i\over \sum w_i}$$ as your best estimate. The estimate of the standard deviation ##\sigma _{\bar x}## follows from $$\sigma_{\bar x} = \sqrt{1\over {\sum w_i}}$$ (*) Since weights are ##1/\sigma_i^2##, your trial 3 gets 16 times the weight of trial 2 !

• Love
Likes brainpushups and WannaLearnPhysics
Thanks for this! I really appreciate this. Oh yeah, it seems like wrong is kinda strong. I don't understand everything now but from what I understood, what I did seems fine if all of the uncertainties have the same value. I really appreciate your help! I've been reading my lab manual and books for hours but this wasn't mentioned.

Likes BvU
BvU said:
The estimate of the standard deviation ##\sigma _{\bar x}## follows from $$\sigma_{\bar x} = \sqrt{1\over {\sum w_i}}$$
That's the standard error of the mean, yes?

Right. I get 5.372 ##\pm## 0.008 as internal error

Likes WannaLearnPhysics
WannaLearnPhysics said:
I've been reading my lab manual and books for hours but this wasn't mentioned.

An excellent resource is John R. Taylor's An Introduction to Error Analysis. I didn't find it until after I was done with college, but I like the balance he strikes between informality and rigor. There is a short chapter on the method of weighted averages described above.

Likes WannaLearnPhysics
Tha
brainpushups said:
An excellent resource is John R. Taylor's An Introduction to Error Analysis. I didn't find it until after I was done with college, but I like the balance he strikes between informality and rigor. There is a short chapter on the method of weighted averages described above.
Thank you very much for this! : D

Last edited:

Related to Uncertainty of the Best Value from a Multiple-Trial Experiment

1. What is the uncertainty of the best value from a multiple-trial experiment?

The uncertainty of the best value from a multiple-trial experiment refers to the range of values within which the true value of a measurement is likely to fall. It takes into account the variability of the data collected from multiple trials and provides a measure of the reliability of the results.

2. How is uncertainty calculated in a multiple-trial experiment?

Uncertainty is typically calculated by determining the standard deviation of the data collected from the multiple trials. This is a measure of the spread of the data points around the mean value. The larger the standard deviation, the greater the uncertainty in the results.

3. Why is it important to consider uncertainty in a multiple-trial experiment?

Considering uncertainty is important because it provides a measure of the precision and accuracy of the results obtained from a multiple-trial experiment. It allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the data and helps to determine the level of confidence that can be placed in the results.

4. How does the number of trials affect the uncertainty of the best value?

The more trials that are conducted in an experiment, the smaller the uncertainty of the best value tends to be. This is because with more data points, there is a better representation of the true value and the variability of the results can be better assessed.

5. Can uncertainty be reduced in a multiple-trial experiment?

Uncertainty can be reduced by increasing the number of trials, improving the precision of the measurements, and reducing sources of error in the experiment. However, it is impossible to completely eliminate uncertainty as it is inherent in any measurement and is affected by various factors such as equipment limitations and human error.