Uncertainties homework problem

In summary: If the curve looks smooth, then the error bar sizes are probably a good estimate. If the curve is 'wiggly' then you might want to be more conservative and pick an uncertainty larger than the error bars, perhaps twice as large. If the curve is fairly straight and you're estimating the slope, you have to be careful not to make the uncertainty smaller than the smallest error bar.I'm a bit concerned that your error analysis is incomplete. If you're measuring the x-ray intensity as a function of depth in aluminum, there must be some source of error in the measurement of the depth. Also, there's probably some background level of radiation that you should subtract from the measurement, and that background level has an
lavster

Homework Statement

let a=360.9±0.1, let b=180.4±0.1, let c=212.5±0.13 and let d=211.7±0.16

whats f (including uncertainty) where

f-1 = ((a/b)-1)/((c/d)-1)

Homework Equations

add the percentage uncertainties in quadrature if dividing two variables
add the absolute uncertainties in quadrature of adding two variables?

The Attempt at a Solution

from plugging in the numbers f=1.0038

the percentage uncertainty for a is 0.03%
the percentage uncertainty of b is 0.06%
adding this in quadrature gives 0.07% (call this y)

the percentage uncertainty for c is 0.063136037%
the percentage uncertainty of d is 0.077617746%
adding this in quadrature gives 0.1% (call this z)

now find the uncertainty of the quotient of these is adding y and z in quadrature giving 0.12%

therefore f=1.0038±0.0012

is this correct?!

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

lavster said:

Homework Statement

let a=360.9±0.1, let b=180.4±0.1, let c=212.5±0.13 and let d=211.7±0.16

whats f (including uncertainty) where

f-1 = ((a/b)-1)/((c/d)-1)
Why f-1? Why isn't the relationship specified as f = ...
Or is the -1 supposed to be an exponent? Are the other -1's also exponents?

Homework Equations

add the percentage uncertainties in quadrature if dividing two variables
add the absolute uncertainties in quadrature of adding two variables?

The Attempt at a Solution

from plugging in the numbers f=1.0038
I'm not seeing how you arrive at this number from the initial values and relationship. Can you elaborate, perhaps break down and present the calculation in smaller steps?

I stupidly typed in the wrong equation its meant to be:

f-1 = ((c/d)-1)/((a/b)-1)

It just gives it as f-1 =... it could equally be:

f=1+(((c/d)-1)/((a/b)-1)). You don't know where the uncertainties come from either? i just added it in quadrature eg

does that make more sense? Do you understand where the uncertainties comes from?

thanks

Okay, with your correction I can now see what's what.

Your method looks okay to me, and the result appears to be reasonable. You might want to keep a couple more decimal places in intermediate results and round the final value only at the end.

As a check I calculated the uncertainty using another method (partial differentials) and arrived at a value very close to yours.

great, thanks! I have a difficulty with uncertainties. I have another general question, if you don't mind - I am trying to give an estimate of the half value layer of xrays going through aluminium. From a graph I have determined the half value layer to be 3.03mm

Im now trying to give an estimate of the error. Here are the sources of uncertainty i have come up with:

Repeatability of output - 1%
Influence of scatter - 1%
electrometer - response 0.5\%
scale reading 0.01
standard deviation - calculated as usual

effect on environment - temperature 1.6\%
- pressure neglible
Aluminium thickness - 0.05mm (1.7\%)

can I just add the percentage errors in quadrature and so get an overal uncertainty of 3.17% and thus get an answer of (3.03±0.1)mm??

or do i do it another way. I have spent hours searching the internet but I am just getting really confused!

thanks

If the sources of error all contribute to a single measurement and they are truly independent of each other, then yes, add them in quadrature. If your plotted values are the result of calculations on several measured values that are affected individually by these things, then apply the rules for combining uncertainties according to the equation(s) used.

so its not the absote uncertanties you add?

Ive just thought -

if I am just plottng the graph with all the error bars and I want to quote the result from the graph - not the equaton i.e. i just look to see where ts half the ntensty and quote the correspondng depth. what's the uncertainty there. a combinaton of the uncertanties described previously or smply the scale reading error on the graph?

because the expermental errors is to do wth measurng the indvidual points, not how accurately i can measure my graph...

thanks

Usually the graph points are plotted with error bars and a least-squares type of curve fit is done. Presumably there's curve plotting software that will take the individual point uncertainties into account, but I'm not familiar enough with what's available to make a recommendation.

If you draw the curve by hand then you're 'connecting the dots' by eye, making a smooth curve that passes within the error bars from all the points. This is a type of averaging/estimating that's hard to characterize precisely. I suppose for the uncertainty you could then make an estimate from the size of the error bars in the neighborhood of the point in question.

Related to Uncertainties homework problem

What is an uncertainty in a homework problem?

An uncertainty in a homework problem is a measure of the potential error or variability in the data or results of a problem. It represents the range of possible values that the data or results could have due to limitations in measurement or other factors.

Why is it important to consider uncertainties in a homework problem?

Considering uncertainties in a homework problem is important because it allows for a more accurate and realistic representation of the data or results. It also helps to identify potential sources of error and evaluate the reliability of the conclusions drawn from the problem.

How do you calculate uncertainties in a homework problem?

Uncertainties in a homework problem can be calculated through various methods, depending on the type of data and the nature of the problem. Some common methods include propagation of errors, statistical analysis, and sensitivity analysis.

What are some common sources of uncertainties in a homework problem?

Common sources of uncertainties in a homework problem can include limitations in measurement instruments, human error, assumptions made in the problem, and inherent variability in the system being studied.

How can uncertainties in a homework problem be reduced?

Uncertainties in a homework problem can be reduced by improving the accuracy and precision of measurements, minimizing sources of error, and conducting multiple trials or using multiple methods to obtain more reliable results. Additionally, acknowledging and addressing potential uncertainties in the problem itself can help to reduce their impact on the final conclusions.